1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part-time sports writer job, Portsmouth, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by johnstegeman, Jul 9, 2010.

1. johnstegeman

johnstegeman New Member

Part-time Sports Writing Position

The Portsmouth Daily Times, a daily newspaper in Portsmouth, Ohio, is seeking a part-time (32 hours a week) sports writer. The position involves writing game stories, previews and feature stories for a public passionate about high school sports. College degree in related field preferred.
    The PDT is a great place for aspiring sports writers to begin a career. Previous PDT writers have gone on to work for MLB.com, the PGA tour and sports marketing firm IMG college.
    Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume to Sports Editor John Stegeman at jstegeman@heartlandpublications.com.

2. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

Heartland

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not a whole lot to the town either.

Not sure if it's still like this, but at one time, they didn't allow columns in sports because they didn't want to piss off the readers.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

32 hours a week? Nice way to get the most of a guy/gal without having to pay them benefits.

5. johnstegeman

johnstegeman New Member

There has been no such rule about column writing since I've worked there, which is the better part of four years. We are a Heartland paper, designated this year by the company as its best daily. As for the town, it is small but we have a cinema, lots of nice places to eat and a Kroger and Wal Mart for shopping as well as several small companies. We are two hours from Columbus, two hours from Cincinnati and one hour from Huntington W.Va. so if you want more excitement it is just a day trip away.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

John, I think that column rule was mainly because someone took the job from Michigan and wrote negatively about the Luckeyes.

Unless they've drawn more business the last 10 years, there are a lot of vacant buildings downtown. I've seen worse, but it was still pretty dead.

What kind of pay you looking at? $10-$12 per hour? Which makes it about $16000 to $19000 per year.

7. johnstegeman

johnstegeman New Member

The pay is in that range but for the sake of other employees at the paper I have been asked not to advertise it. If anyone would like specifics I will be happy to email them.

As for the town, it is an economically depressed river town. Even so, it has a unique charm. Two of us on staff are from Cincinnati originally but we like it down here. Hopefully we can find someone else who will like it as well.

8. johnstegeman

johnstegeman New Member

Thank you to everyone who has applied so far. I will be accepting applications through Thursday, July 15 and then we will move on to the next part of the process.

Draft saved Draft deleted