1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parking at Madison Square Garden for NIT - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 30, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My trip to MSG was awesome. Saw the Hawks and Knicks two years ago. Had seats up top, but right on the rail, which was cool. I didn't want to leave. Hell, until recently, the wallpaper or whatever on my cell phone was a picture from inside the Garden. Loved it.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It helps if it's sold out and a great game. I think MSG is kind of like the opera -- you either love it and you "get it," or you don't.

I get it.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

MSG was better before the change to sissy seat colors. Used to be you identified yourself as a hardcore by sitting in the blue seats, or, conversely, a high-roller by sitting in the orange/red. Of course I blame James Dolan, which probably should go without saying.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He must have eaten at one of those Chinese take outs on 34th that cooks with MSG.

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I would agree. My only trip to MSG was for the NIT 3 years ago... I got the sense of history, but because it was the NIT, the atmosphere left something to be desired.
    Not exactly like "Reggie Miller vs. Spike Lee and the New York Knicks," I'll tell ya.
    But it was a cool place, and I was glad to check it off my sportswriting bucket list.

6. Mediator

Mediator Member

I know MSG isn't as shiny and new as other facilities, but I love it. Those concrete arenas have the intimacy of an airline hangar and the charm of a bunker. MSG may be frayed, but the ceiling alone is worth the price of admission. It's a shame what the Dolans have done to it (and the Rangers, and the Knicks) but MSG should be preserved in amber.

7. Boom_70

The Garden is not the Garden unless it is filled for Hoops with 19,500 folks. Sadly for the Knicks those days have been few and far between.

We have not heard from Rhody. Maybe he ended up stopping at Mohegan Sun and is on a role with his meal money.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I've been to the Garden well over a hundred times as a fan or concertgoer, but never since the renovation (moved away, obviously). I probably shouldn't go back, it sounds like.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Garden, which is now 42 years old, is still a special place when it is full and rocking, as Boom said.
    It's also much more special to those of us old enough to remember the players behind the numbers up in the rafters. Hadn't been there for a few years until I went to a concert last November but the minute I walked in, it still felt special to me.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Boom: Rhody posted on page 2 that he was home safe at 5:30 a.m.

Too bad he -- a bunch of other people -- never expereinced the old Garden on 8th from 49th to 50th. Now that building had character (and characters)

11. Boom_70

Indeed - There was a great Neidicks at the entrance as I recall. Saw one of last games there - Knicks vs 76ers
    Wilt was on Sixers and Walt Bellamy was center for the Knicks. Best part - first game Harlem Globetrotters vs the Washington Generals complete with Red Klotz.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nedick's and I think an Orange Julius as well in the lobby.

Lots of gamblers as well...and the smokey haze hanging over the court.

Draft saved Draft deleted