1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parenting and education

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DietCoke, Apr 20, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Just whatever you do, resist any urge to put him in school early. Let him be a normal kid.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hell, Starman was already the state spelling bee champion by kindergarten.

doctorquant likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Rand girl never got over losing to him.

doctorquant likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My $0.02 ... it's awfully, awfully early to be looking at standardized test scores and projecting that forward. Yes, your son clearly is bright, but I don't think I'd get too wound up about whether he'll be appropriately challenged just yet.

Also, another $0.02 ... in about 12 years, when he's dicked around on his college application essays and the deadline's tomorrow and he also has his homework to do and why are you harping on him for how he let all of this slip up and it didn't occur to him that he couldn't cram three months worth of work into one 12-hour period and oh yeah this trip payment was due day before yesterday but the teacher said it could be paid with a $20 late fee and wait I gotta fill out a form to request transcripts? ... you're going to wonder if maybe they got the names mixed up on this aptitude test.

Ace, Iron_chet and LongTimeListener like this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In the mid-range between doctorq's two timeframes ... when my son was in third grade, he had two assessment tests in consecutive weeks, covering the same material. One was a district assessment and he got about 60 percent right, low enough that they thought about putting him in a remedial class. The next one was the school's assessment, he scored 100 percent, and when he got to fourth grade we found out they had jumped him to the fifth-grade math class.

Same kid. Same material. We figure he ate, slept and/or pooped better before going to school for the second one.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

He seems like he has a bright future. On the downside, middle school teachers never have sex with the smartest kid.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

yep

8. 93Devil

Many assessments can be 40-50 questions and at that age, they pretty much say "fuck this" sometimes.

DC, have you looked up what a lexile is yet?

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yes. Especially if a kid is naturally competitive, it can be hard to develop a sense of perspective. Academic "failure" is relative, so make sure he/she realizes that it's not the end of the world if he doesn't get the highest grade all the time.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You still bring it, Ace!

Ace likes this.
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

#SJParenting is the best.

12. 93Devil

It's almost as good as the responses from people without kids.

Draft saved Draft deleted