1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parent: Blowout loss was bullying

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 22, 2013.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

OK, it's Bleacher Report. Still ...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1819708-parent-files-bullying-complaint-after-sons-team-loses-91-0

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Buchanan is one of the best coaches in the state with one of the best programs for the past seven years or so. They've had a lot of games like this that could have been a lot worse.

The teams in their district absolutely suck. They do the best they can.

Now some other people in the state, who try to score 100 by calling time out with seconds left to throw to the end zone, have at them.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm calling bullshit, since according to this:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/10/21/5264501/was-aledos-91-0-football-win-last.html?rh=1

only one team in the modern history of Texas football has broken 100 points in a game, that being in 1969.

So if very many teams rolling up 93-94 points or more are calling time outs with seconds left and firing it into the end zone in wild shots to get 100 points, the defenses of these poor bedraggled teams being thrashed by 90 and more points must be coming up with an utterly uncanny series of heroic last-second defensive stands to hold these teams out of the end zone.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I apologize. The game I was referring to wasn't going for 100. It was calling a timeout for a reverse pass at the 17-yard line with eight seconds left up 49-25.

But I will give you Refugio in 2011, which in a seven-game span scored 69, 72, 73, 74, 82 and 91, with that last one being 91-6.

And in that 91-6 game, the starting QB was throwing TD passes in the third quarter up 63-6.

Three of those games were shutouts, only one opponent scored more than six, and it was 13.

I give you Refugio in 2012, which in an eight-game span scored 70, 76, 76, 77, 77, 80 and 84.

Five of those games were shutouts, one opponent scored seven and one game was 76-35.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For selfish deadline purposes, I'd love to see a 45-point mercy rule in 11-man like what exists in six-man. Hit a 45-point lead or more and the game is over. I feel the UIL is heading in that direction anyway. They already use a running clock once the game gets out of hand.

This case, however, is silly. Don't want 91 hung on you? Sack up and play some D. I think taking a knee three times and punting is worse.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I read that story this morning and wondered if anyone would post anything here. I thought these paragraphs were rather telling ...

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

For you non-Texans, that's pronounced "Reh-fyur-ee-oh" ...

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Running up the score can be a dick move, but it's certainly not bullying.

It's just one of those trigger words that school people jump every time they hear and parents are exploiting that.

9. cmlifer

cmlifer New Member

In Michigan, the running clock doesn't take effect until after halftime and a 35-point difference. Ten more points would be too quick (cause I'm a bully). Maybe 14 or 20 more for a 55-point difference after halftime for a mercy ending. That running clock is a godsend and root for it every week if the teams I'm watching don't run the ball nearly every down.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I hope none of the losing team's parents or players saw an inspirational poster or billboard on the way home.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's probably only a matter of time until they stop keeping score in high school games.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Everything's bigger in Texas.
    That apparently includes butthurt.

Draft saved Draft deleted