1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parallel construction?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Feb 20, 2009.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If you saw both of these, what would be your thoughts? Just a coincidence, based on how the presser played out, or something else?

Lead No. 1:

METAIRIE, La. – Deuce McAllister kept a pair of sunglasses in his jacket pocket, just in case he had trouble keeping himself together while saying his formal goodbyes to the New Orleans Saints.

He never quite needed to hide his eyes, but it wasn't for a lack of attachment to the only team he's played for or the fans who loudly expressed their love for him everywhere they saw him — most recently with elongated howls of "Deuce" when McAllister attended a New Orleans Hornets basketball game this month.

Lead No. 2:

METAIRIE, La. -- Deuce McAllister made sure he stuck a pair of sunglasses in his pants pocket on Tuesday, just in case he shed a tear or two before addressing the media.
    He never had to slide them on, but it still was an emotional moment he’d hoped to avoid.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Well one has the sunglasses in a jacket pocket, the other has them in a pants pocket. That's one place to start...

I'm thinking it's just a coincident.

Here is a similar example:
    Paper A:
    Paper B:
    In both cases I would say that the reporters had similar observations from the way the press conference played out.
    In the Mizzou basketball example, those quotes were probably the most entertaining and both writers thought they would be a good way to make a lopsided game exciting.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I agree with your observations. I was startled at first to read the similarity, but I can understand it.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I think that it's a coincidence with the way the press conference went.

One of the quietest players on a team I cover made an incredibly witty remark two weeks ago and nearly everyone led with it.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wow, thats very very coincidental. But some one had a fact error either way.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

It might not be an error. Deuce could have had the glasses in his jacket pocket, taken them out, then put them in his pants pocket. You never know. Stranger things have happened.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

But isn't that the point, though? Make sure you have all the facts right?

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Yes you want to get the facts right, but all I'm saying is both could be facts and you don't have to include every fact. One reporter possibly decided to go with one fact (ie sunglasses in the jacket pocket), while the other reporter went with another fact (ie glasses in pants pocket). Both could still be correct. Granted this is all hypothetical since I wasn't there. But IF Deuce did move his sunglasses from pocket to pocket, both facts would be correct and all the facts would be right, unless you are saying the reporters would have to mention that the glasses were in BOTH pants and jacket to be factually correct.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I would step back and do a next-day follow on why today's culture has football players feeling like they need multiple pairs of sunglasses just to feel safe. Was this the case 20 years ago? Even 10?

Draft saved Draft deleted