1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Papers Pulling Next Week's Doonesbury

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Zeke12, Mar 10, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Post is my tab of choice too. The Post has a point of view, and is a fun read. The News? It's the Daily Snooze.

And, the Post's comics page? It's like the Island of Misfit Toys. There are strips that run there I've never seen run anywhere else. If you're choosing your paper based just on the funny pages, you're picking the News over the Post every time.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How the hell does it hurt their brand?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Post also happens to have the best cartoonist in Sean Delonas.

4. YankeeFan

How does it help it?

Do you want to be a trusted news source, or a community bulletin board? Maybe you should run a daily cartoon from lolcats. People like those.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why can't you be both -- and haz cheezburgers as well!

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The funnies sell newspapers. Trudeau's one of the richest people in papers who doesn't own one. That's why they were put in the paper in the first place. If the Globe removed its comics, I'd cancel my subscription immediately.
    Life isn't all politics and money. A newspaper is supposed to reflect the life of its readership. Sports is a superfluous frivolity, too -- and it's 10 times more expensive to operate than the funny pages.

7. YankeeFan

Top three papers in the country don't carry the funnies. Two of them are the best, and most respected papers in the country (with only the Washington Post even having a claim to being in the conversation).

Now, you might say they're "national" newspapers, but they sell a shit load in their home market as well.

The only reason I see for putting comic strips in the paper is to introduce kids to newspapers.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My 15-year-old reads the comics in the paper every day before school. And he often notices and reads other stories while he is looking for the comics.

9. YankeeFan

Yeah, but he's a political/editorial cartoonist -- big difference. I don't see any problem with a paper running someone like him.

10. YankeeFan

As I said, that's the one reason I can see for having cartoons.

As a kid, my dad would buy the Sunday Times & Daily News on the way home from church. My brothers and I would argue about who would get the comics first. The sports page had a lot of appeal too.

Odds your boy becomes a paid subscriber one day?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A hell of a lot better than if he didn't read the paper every morning, I'd say.

12. YankeeFan

True.

Draft saved Draft deleted