1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper revisits former college player who was intentionally beaned while on deck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If the coaching staff was ordering pitchers to throw at guys in the on-deck circle, the entire coaching staff should have been thrown out of baseball.

Where were the umpires in all this? I deduce from that tidbit that the pitchers had indeed "buzzed" guys in the on-deck circle previous to that incident. Any umpire worth half a shit should have instantaneously ejected any pitcher who throws anywhere near a guy in the on-deck circle. If it happens again, forfeit the game.

In college baseball, the umpires are supposed to instantly eject pitchers if they believe they intentionally throw at a batter; a batter in the batter's box at least knows a pitch is coming. A guy in the on-deck circle has no inkling a pitch may be coming at him; you might as well let pitchers throw at the back of guys' heads sitting in the dugout.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, it was really not well-executed.

And what a damn shame Christensen's career never panned out. I hope most of his signing money went to Molina.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

IIRC, his vision went from 20-20 to like 20-200 (or some other really high number).

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Million-dollar arms and 10-cent heads..

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

But I have a Blaupunkt!

6. Fuck the Shockers and fuck Gene Stephenson. [/sycamoresfanboi]

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That, and being treated like gods since they first put on a pair of stirrup socks. If you haven't spent much time around youth/travel-league baseball, you'd be shocked at how much of an entitlement culture it is.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Re: Paper revisits former college player who was intentionally beaned while on d

I never did buy the excuse of "timing his pitches." Every hitter on deck that I ever saw did that when a relief pitcher came in. It's in the same sad, pitiful category as Roger Clemens throwing at guys because a base-runner tipped the batter off. If you pick up the guy's signs legally (not with a periscope in the clubhouse), it's the catcher's fault for being lazy.
    Did Christensen serve any jail time? And if not, why?

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Gene Stephenson has a history of bullshit. He is personally responsible for the 5-hour college game. I had a college player from another D-I powerhouse tell me that Wichita State batters were under orders to take the count as deep as possible, and step out of the box after every single pitch.

10. PaulS

PaulS Member

Re: Paper revisits former college player who was intentionally beaned while on d

This is so far off it is remarkable. You may have Wichita State confused with Oklahoma State under Gary Ward.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, it's not very far off at all.

Ward falls into that category but so does Stephenson.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion, but the previous poster is right ... they're both out of the same stalling, abrasive school of baseball thought.

Draft saved Draft deleted