1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper apologizes for gun records request

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't have any problem with papers asking for the information on who has a handgun or a concealed carry permit, but I just don't see the news value in publishing it.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Good for him on getting out of that newspaper. Can't blame him one bit.
    Can't wait to see the listing for that job. I'm thinking the publisher will have a hard time finding a new editor (if people know about this debacle), unless he suckers someone already on staff to move up.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I would think he'll hit someone up on staff already. Of course he had a good editor already and chose not to have his back. Can't imagine why anyone would come from the outside and work for a publisher like that.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Has there been any indication whatsoever that the newspaper intended to publish a list of names? From what I've seen, all it did was request them. It could have been intending to use them for some other purpose.

That said, whether they publish the list or not, they ought to be nailing the sheriff to the wall for refusing to provide it. Instead, they bent over backwards to kiss his ass. I can understand, if not condone, backing down in the face of threats of violence. But I can't begin to understand profusely thanking the sheriff for doing nothing more than his job and ignoring the fact that he violated public records law.

What they're effectively saying is all you assholes who threatened us were right to do so. To say nothing of the fact that assuming that most of those doing the threatening are concealed-carry permit holders, the violent threats would be felonies, thereby making them ineligible for said permit.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Basically, they have invited anybody who doesn't like what they do to try to intimidate them. Way to cut your staff off at the knees.

Actually, the sheriff didn't do his job. He violated public records law.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If you're the editor, record every threat. Get video tape. Contact the sheriff. Tape him as well. If the sheriff blows you off, call the FBI. File a civil rights violation against the sheriff.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

8. So the wonderboy in charge of the OC is a coward, right?

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

So a political candidate names an opponent and identifies the opponent's known and possibly/probably admitted public support for something, and the OCR says that's bad?

Good heavens.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If anyone is interested -

http://jimromenesko.com/2013/03/18/paper-seeks-safe-editor-after-being-criticized-for-gun-records-request/

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Wow. As if the previous editor didn't already have to worry about death threats, that ad buried a knife right between his shoulder blades.

12. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Unfortunately, I've worked with and for some people who are exactly what this publisher is looking for ...

Draft saved Draft deleted