1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Papelbon the sourpuss.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Your point is made.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I've heard that Papelbon and Rivera actually have a good relationship, and all this is most likely trumped up b.s.

Let's just get on with the game already...

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Give it a rest, fanboy. The stats actually do count even if they are produced outside of Boston and New York.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

But wait, oop. You mean games COUNT outside of Boston and New York?

Color me educated.

5. KP

KP Active Member

I see the stats and they are very good. I also know what I have seen when games truly matter.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Games matter. I know, deep huh?

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Let the Dead Sox win two World Series in four years and watch them become as Evil Empire as the Skankees.

And you wonder why so many people hate Baahston.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So are you saying all the games up to this point in the season are irrelevant? Or that good players fail to exist on non-playoff teams (like the Red Sox in 2006, when apparently Papelbon must not have pitched "when games truly mattered")?

9. outofplace

Sure sounds like it to me.

More likely, the fanboy can't deal with Papelbon's true place in the closer pecking order.

10. KP

KP Active Member

When you are double digits out of the playoffs by the All-Star break it's hard to say anything going forward matters. He's been lights out in the first half, no doubt about it No. 2 behind Rivera to date, but I'm wouldn't go off and say he is heir apparent to AL's top closer just yet the way some of you are.

As for Papelbon he was the primary reason why that team had games to play for in the second half. He was lights out for the first four mouths before he showed signs of fatigue and finally his arm finally gave out and put the nail in the coffin to a miserable team (Manny bagged out for a lengthy stretch of the second half). They were 5.5 back when he went on the DL. When was the last time KC was that close to the WC? Screw the World Series, that was Francona's best job as a manger finding a way to keep that clubhouse from imploding.

You want Soria to close games out for you when it matters, great. If I were a GM I take the proven guy.

11. outofplace

Soria has been the better pitcher this year from day one. I'm sorry you can't handle that.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You have a point, but you're sounding awfully vindictive towards a Kansas City team that hasn't given much reason to have people feeling that way in decades.

Granted, I have my longstanding hatred of the Pirates, but I also have many years of pent up resentment from my former team losing two seven-game World Series to them. Including 1979 when they were up 3-1 on Pittsburgh.

Draft saved Draft deleted