1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pandora: thumbs up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jay Sherman, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Was looking for a music recommendation site the other day and stumbled across Pandora. Always thought Pandora was like an online XM, where you could just stream music, but didn't realize it made recommendations for you.

This site is so cool. I know I'm behind the curve, but if you haven't checked it out, you need to. You type in a song or band that you like and it spits out a radio station for you based on similar music. You can "add music variety" to the station so they get a better idea of what you like. I.e. if you like Kanye West but dislike most music in that genre, you ought to add some variety so that they know not to give you Lupe Fiasco, etc.

My buddy has a rather, um, interesting sense of musical taste, and said one of his radio stations included Metallica, Britney Spears and Kanye West. How Pandora came up with recommendations taking those songs into account is beyond me.

Anyway, check it out. www.pandora.com

But don't take my word for it!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. In Exile

In Exile Member

Pandora is way cool. Plug in your favorites, or any combination thereof in a mix and let it rip. In a day or two, since you can thumbs up or down individual songs, it hones right in on the kind of stuff you like. Amazing, and has alerted me to many artists I never would have listened to - always on background when I'm typing away.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not available in Canuckistan which is a drag but I'll accept logins etc. from right neighbourly Americans....

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Love Pandora. It's in my toolbar and I bet I click on it at least once a day. My playlist is based on John Coltrane, so I hear a bunch of great jazz.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I really dig Pandora. It's great if I don't have access to my playlist.

As for Reading Rainbow: The theme is one of my favorite ringtones.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm a big Pandora fan, but don't get too attached to it.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4283074.html

7. I've used Pandora for almost two years now, so my favorite station rarely plays a song I don't like (maybe once a week, or once every 20 hours). Highly recommended.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've too enjoyed Pandora for the last two years, but it's best in small doses. You tend to hear the same songs every time you select a favorite. It's good to have a varied selection of favorites.

Draft saved Draft deleted