1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pandora Radio

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MartinEnigmatica, May 24, 2007.

1. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Basically, you enter a song or artist, and the magical radio station creates a playlist of music like the song or artist. Pretty neat, though I have yet to give it a full test drive.

Pandora.com

2. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I believe it has been shut off to non-Americans, unfortunately for our Canadian friends.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Thanks, Martin.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

That is awesome. Thanks.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've been a Pandora geek for the last year and a half. Good stuff.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Too bad the new royalty rate for Internet radio stations will put them out of business soon....

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

got a better one. www.finetune.com

Has the same radio-type function, but the big thing is that you can create your own playlist, using up to three songs from any artist. Pretty cool.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

True, but Pandora provides exposure to new artists.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I just discovered this site. I obviously missed this thread last year. Good stuff.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've "discovered" plenty of new bands because of this site. It's an excellent source of music.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I used to use it all the time, but haven't for about a year for no real reason other than I have 1,500 songs in my iTunes.

A lot of good jazz on there.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Pandora is great because you can use it at work without downloading anything and getting adware and junk.

But it sort of sucks in someways.

Say you put in a few artists that you enjoy listening to such as: The Killers, and Linkin Park, such as I did. Then Pandora plays songs from those bands (usually the same ones over and over). Then they add songs by similar artists.

Similar artists to Linkin Park end up being crap like Limp Bizkit (not really just making an example). You can skip the song, but you only get so many skips per hour until they make you listen to whatever they pick.

This can offer exposure to new artists, which can give you good songs, or it could give you new artists with bad songs. Even if you fine-tune your list of bands and songs, Pandora can make you a really lousy playlist.

I know this sounds like a big complaint, I guess I should be grateful for it since I don't have to download some stuff. But when you are having a bad day at work, the last thing you want to listen to is shitty music.

Draft saved Draft deleted