1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Panama City FL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KJIM, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

where is shoot headed?

2. Very good question!

3. udubwazzu

udubwazzu New Member

He's making jokes about the Thrifty Nickel and Auto Trader.

4. udubwazzu

udubwazzu New Member

If anybody has any further questions about the position or the newspaper, PM me.

5. Pacinomist

Pacinomist New Member

As expected, this has been a popular job opening. The list of finalists will soon be narrowed down, and we'll post that when we know them so everyone will have a clue as to how the process is going. The position is still open, so keep sending resumes and clips if you feel you have a legit shot at landing the gig.

6. How popular? How many applicants?

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

can I apply in and start in late March?

8. udubwazzu

udubwazzu New Member

That doesn't really fit the timeframe. Think more along the lines of November 2008.

9. Pacinomist

Pacinomist New Member

Chad, I'm not at liberty to discuss exact numbers. Let's just say a steady stream of resumes came in the day the job was posted and they haven't stopped since. A keen eye would see 10-15 resumes sitting on a certain desk as I write this.

The biggest bite obviously is for Florida football, especially with the excitement Urban Meyer has created. But as it has been put in earlier posts, this area offers a lot of other things to keep a writer busy. Triathlons are huge, including Ironman Florida in November, which the new hire will most likely be covering.

There's also the occasional different event such as powerboat racing, boxing, bodybuilding and we also put on an annual all-star high school basketball game that has been embraced by the community. Plus, covering Gulf Coast basketball isn't bad, either, since the women's team is always one of the best in the country.

10. CarolinaCat

CarolinaCat New Member

I didn't realize losing by 4 TDs to Alabama, giving away an easy win against LSU (5 Tiger TOs), choking against South Carolina with the SEC on the line and making the Outback Bowl caused so much excitement down in Florida.

11. WSKY

WSKY Member

I think he was talking about the tailgating.

12. Pacinomist

Pacinomist New Member

Carolina,
    Covering Division I football is good for anyone's clips, no matter how the team plays. There's no question that Meyer is building a pretty good team in Gainesville. He's about two years from being really good. The new hire will cover 8 of 12 regular season games and could cover up to 10 this season. That's not a bad way to spend most of your fall. Plus, my words are backed up by the response we have received.

Draft saved Draft deleted