1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pam Ward: She gone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, May 21, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Minnesota-Purdue won't ever be the same.

http://mobile.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2012/5/21/3034168/pam-ward-places-you-in-bed-with-strange-angry-people

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought this line at end of story was pretty funny:

"The departure of Ms. Ward now leaves just two female announcers on ESPN's college football roster: Beth Mowins and Mike Patrick."

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Pam Ward was a far better announcer than that Every Day Should Be Saturday guy who did the linked story will ever be as a writer.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

She was cringe-worthy. In more than a decade, I never reached a point of comfort with Pam Ward doing a college football game.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Incorrect.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I never understood why she is so polarizing. You either love her or hate her. There doesn't seem to be much in between.

I really like her. She gives the down and distance. She tells you what happened. She doesn't get in the way of the game. I always thought she was the perfect play by play announcer.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guess I am the rare person who finds her non-polarizing. I don't think she's great or terrible. She is just there, like a lot of male announcers. But she gets so much more negative attention than all those guys.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've always tried to look past any gender issues with the Pam Ward question. If Pam Ward was a guy, she would still be cringe-worthy to me. Honestly.

9. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

There's something to be said for an announcer who doesn't get in the way of the game. Don't become a focal point of the action. The game is the focal point of the action.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you are announcing a steady diet of Indiana-Iowa, Michigan State-Ball State, etc., feel free to distract me from the game at hand.

11. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I always thought Pam Ward was a pro.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

ESPN broadcasts a zillion games every weekend. No way she's worse than all the other PBP'ers in that stable.

Draft saved Draft deleted