1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palm Beach, Tweets, Virginia Tech, Miami

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

We're talking about this: Virginia Tech commit Jake Taylor just posted on SportsJournalists.com.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I understand. I guess my question is if there is a better way to identify that recruit in one or two words? Virginia Tech recruit Jake Taylor? Prospective Hokie Jake Taylor?

3. Johnny Dangerously

I don't really like the word commitment -- the word means less and less every recruiting season -- but if forced to pick, I prefer Virginia Tech commitment Jake Taylor better than the other. Commit is a verb. At least commitment is a noun.

Sorry if I sound irritated, but the whole thing is just silly. I've read a bunch of stories in which "he committed to State, then de-committed and committed to Tech, then changed his commitment tonight." At some point I think we have to at least think a little bit about the words we use. We get paid to do that. Coaches and recruiting fence-straddlers really don't. We shouldn't let them set the language standards and style for us.

Once they break contain ...

::)

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

No, I totally get your irritation. I've written stuff like that more often than I care to admit, and I have mixed emotions about it, at best. I'm honestly trying to figure out a better way to write it.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Do you agree that commit should remain a verb? :)

6. I don't know the whole back story, but that is GREAT stuff. Gives us an inside picture of how a "betrayed" coach handles being spurned on Signing Day. I love it.

7. This story seems to sum up the situation fairly well.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-virginia-techja-wand-blue-recruiting-commotion-plays-live-on-twitter-where-no-one-distinguished-themselves-20120201,0,1896293.story?track=rss

Long story short, he thought (or was told) that it was Beamer. It was an assistant. But it was, in fact, a Va. Tech coach. And it shows you what kind of pressure these kids are under when they're tugged in different directions by well-paid professional salesman.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

PBP explainer: http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/highschoolbuzz/2012/02/01/regarding-ja-wand-blue-and-virginia-techs-coaching-staff/

Eavesdropping via dual speakerphone...

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

If you let a commit break contain, then he'll stretch the field with physicality.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That mess all beats the hell out of "Johnny Dangerously verballed to Virginia Tech."

One easy edit I often make is, "Johnny Dangerously says he will go to Virginia Tech."

"Elite running back Johnny Dangerously, who initially said he would go to Virginia Tech, then Miami (Fla.), then Virginia Tech again, has signed a letter of intent to play at Miami."

11. Johnny Dangerously

Charles Robinson is investigating.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, for what I hope can be a serious, mature discussion:

Did the coach know a reporter was listening? If not, is that OK?

Draft saved Draft deleted