1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palm Beach, Tweets, Virginia Tech, Miami

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Anybody know anything about what went down today in Palm Beach? I've been asked about it several times and I'm only getting bits and pieces so I can't really form an opinion.

It was some variation of this: A kid who was a Virginia Tech "commit" signed with Miami. A reporter was either on the call or listening to the call when the kid told VT. Some quotes were "tweeted" from Frank Beamer, only it wasn't Frank Beamer. Tweets were pulled. No idea if the assistant coach, Charley Wiles, knew a reporter was listening. No idea if PB ran a cx or just changed the names.

Or really, what exactly happened. Does anyone know, can anyone enlighten?

This is what I see up now - and I haven't checked Twitter.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/highschoolbuzz/2012/02/01/west-boca-raton-sends-robert-lockhart-to-miami-ja-wand-blue-next/

Might be some teachable moments here.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Starting with "commit."

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I posted something about this on the Twitter rushing to be wrong thread:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/hokies-journal/post/national-signing-day-2012-conversation-between-virginia-tech-and-recruit-jawand-blue-is-aired-publicly-on-twitter/2012/02/01/gIQAT8czhQ_blog.html

4. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

Beamer apparently did discuss it:

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/colleges/virginia-tech/dp-spt-teel-column-signing-day-20120201,0,3526036.column

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I find it highly interesting that there's a tweet on his feed that says something along the lines of VA Tech spokesman confirms my earlier tweets are true...but then magically, the earlier tweets aren't there.

I don't mean to pile on, but really why chest beat about how you were right if you deleted the tweets in question?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Another Twitter success story.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, Blue invited Porter to listen to the call?

8. Maybe I missed it, but is there a part to this story where it's revealed everyone involved is a teenage girl and at the end the reporter jumps in and say, "I KNEW YOU WERE A FAKE FRIEND!"

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack, but this also is one of my pet peeves, but I have given up trying to stop our writers from using it. Sigh.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Never give up. Never surrender. Rivals doesn't get to rewrite the dictionary.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I still fix it. Every time. But I have stopped reminding them not to do it. They generally stop using it for a month or two, then they magically return to it.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not disagreeing or trying to argue, but what should we use instead? In a perfect world we wouldn't have to write about it because it's not really a "commitment" and all, but enough readers want to know when a kid decides on a school, even if he's free to (perhaps even likely to) change his mind that we have to cover it.

Is there a better term, or do we have to write every time we mention a recruit that "Joe Runningback said he will play for State, but his decision isn't official until he signs a letter of intent in February." ??

Draft saved Draft deleted