1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palm Beach Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MMatt60, Jun 23, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Damn.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Damn again.

3. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

That is nothing less than a brutal bloodbath. Absolutely disheartening.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

When people seek buyouts and get turned down by the company, is the company doing them a favor or screwing them even worse?

That is, if a layoff sucks because you lose your job against your will, does a buyout suck nearly as much because you keep your job against your will?

5. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

It's hard to say they're getting screwed worse. At least they still have a job. I doubt they have another one lined up too quickly because it's not like they knew the buyout was going to be offered to them too far in advance.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking, but as bad as this business has become, the idea of raising your hand for a buyout and then being told no, you have to stay (even though the bosses now know you aren't "loyal" or "have your mind right") has to suck bad too.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I thought it was by far the best paper of its size and better than most twice its size. They got it right so many days, and sometimes they got it perfect. I hope that during this awful time the people there will do what the publisher suggests, remember all they accomplished. They'll always have that. Tremendous job there, folks, you had at least a decade and a half of greatness.

8. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

130? Damn. That's a lot of people. That's out of how many? I've met some great sports people in Palm Beach. I hope it goes well for them.

Any details of the buyouts yet? They're still being awfully vague. They almost sound as though they'll make offers depending on how much they care for the individual employees. Certainly, that can't be the case.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

One HAS to wonder if PBP SE Nick Moschella is at APSE.

rb

10. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Holy mother, 130?! What percentage of the newsroom is that? :eek:

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, it's a little less than 25 percent overall (300 of 1,350). So I don't know how that translates into the newsroom.

The short, easy answer? Too high of a percentage.

12. 12345

12345 New Member

the 130 is, as far as I know, out of a approx. total of 270 who work on the second floor newsroom. Truly a sad day. I wonder if in sports, specifically if any of this mid-level managers will be forced to go. The copy desk is already a skeleton. I can think of a few reporters who have a lot of seniority and not a whole hell of a lot of bylines these days, too...

However, I do hope that anyone who gets hit by these finds a way to make the best of it and move ahead. It really does suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted