1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging West Wing fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 1, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's the line that popped into my head as soon as I saw Zeke's post. Great little scene.

2. taller hack

taller hack Member

Thanks for the heads-up on the $20 seasons at Best Buy, went out and picked up six of them today. It's gonna be a good summer.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't know why - and its definitely a major moment in the show's history - but Josh yelling, "He's got the PR instincts of Idi Amin!" has always been funny as hell to me for some reason.

4. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I believe what happened is that Sam Seaborn (Rob Lowe) was indeed supposed to be the primary character, but when Martin Sheen (Bartlett) stole the show at the end of the pilot, Sorkin quickly changed the angle of the show. Originally, the president was not going to be shown very much.

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

He's not uncle fluffy.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think they could have done anything with that role. A communications director has to rely on other people, someone to tell him what to write, someone to say what he writes to be put into play.
    Loved the Toby character - a guy who has worked for four presidential candidates, none who later won.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

It's strange, I never watched an episode when it aired originally. I didn't catch the show until I happened onto the reruns on Bravo.

Then, I went out and bought every season on DVD, and I am not a politico by any stretch whatsoever.

As is the case now with Lost, I wish this amazing show would run forever.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

i always enjoy when a "ww" thread rears its head. find it reassuring. and totally understandable why writers/editors revere the show, still. :D :D :D

"they're all about duty."

the first eps featuring ainsley hayes are up there among my faves with those already mentioned. 8) 8) 8)

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Kind of weird that NBC hasn't thought about a revival.
    We'd be in about the halfway point of the Santos administration and lord knows that Erik Estrada Jimmy Smits isn't doing much since Cane was cut loose.
    And in a did you know, obvious as hell, but still strange moment.
    The Santos character was based on a young, ethnic senator from Illinois.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/news/2008/02/barack_obama_was_model_for_wes_1.html

10. billikens

billikens Member

That was great too. Something like, "I get this call at 3 a.m., and it's Toby on the other line, and he says, 'Don't you see, it's a gift.'"

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that, as SID said, in addition to Martin Sheen's prefection in the pilot completely altering the course of the show (he was only supposed appear in 4 episodes that first season); at some point midway through the first season, Sorkin found himself liking the Josh character more and more, which caused him to shift his focus. Something about the Josh character's always having good intentions, but having more personal flaws, which Sorkin related to.

I'd be remiss if I didn't offer one of my own favorite sequences, which was Josh discovering/posting on Lemon-Lymon.com, taken directly from Sorkin's experiences posting on TWOP.

"Why are you smiling?

Technically, I outrank you.

So far up your ass!"

11. statrat

statrat Member

Best scene ever:

-Please, oh please let them not by watching!

-Toby, Come quick, Sam is getting his ass kicked by a girl!

-Giner, get the popcorn!

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

" 'Crime, boy, I don't know' ... That's when I decided to kick your ass."

Draft saved Draft deleted