1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging Rosie or other computer experts -- PC question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Jul 8, 2006.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Rosie, et al ...

The hard drive on my computer marked its 6-year birthday this month by making funny noises -- the loud, "I'm about to die" noises.

This afternoon, I backed up my documents folder, with all my pics, Word docs, etc., in it, to a separate, external hard drive.

I have purchased a new hard drive for installation.

My question is this: I'm sure i'll have to use an OS disc to boot up the new hard drive. But I purchased this machine with Windows ME on it, and upgraded to Windows XP.

So will I have to use the original recovery disc (with Windows ME) and then re-upgrade to Windows XP again? I still have all those CDs ... just curious as to how this will unfold.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

A lot depends on what model computer you have and what instructions came with the hard drive you purchased.

Some recovery disks will let you pick and chose what programs you need to recover, some will not. You also have drivers on those recovery disks you will need.

It's also possible to "ghost" the hard drive you have now to the new one, but you have to have the program (and I honestly don't know if it's available for free.)

I need more info.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Wow. This turned out to be a hell of a lot easier than I thought it'd be.

I installed the second hard drive as a slave drive, put in the CD that accompanied the hard drive, and it's taking care of the rest -- including converting the new drive to a boot drive.

I can imagine this would be quite difficult if you were trying to install a new hard drive when your old one's already dead, though.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Glad to hear you are getting the job done! :D

It's not difficult installing a new hard drive without slaving it, just can be tedious depending on what you have to reinstall and stuff like that.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Thanks, Rosie.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

You're welcome. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted