1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging poindexter, hondo, et al

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Six Muslims kneel and pray at the gate right before they get on a plane --> A fair number non-Muslim people on that flight freak out. That's the reality I speak of.

2. Point of Order

If you told me you were walking down an impoverished, crime-ridden, urban, African American neighborhood and you told me you were going to yell "Screw you N-word" at everyone you saw because it is a free country and you can say what you want, I would respect your right to do that, but I would certainly advise against it.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You and I have a different idea of what prayer is, apparently, PoO.

But, hey, to each his own.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That officially puts you in the Hondo camp.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Might be your reality, POO. Might be their relaity. Sure as shit ain't my reality.

6. Point of Order

Umm... actually it was these guys' reality.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

We're not talking about an act that's meant to be offensive. We're talking about people freely, and within the law, practicing their religion by praying. It's not endangering anyone, despite the fear people might feel. It's not a prelude to anything, despite people's racist attitudes to the contrary.

And let's look at the racist tag. Racism is born through fear, mistrust and lack of knowledge. If you let your fear of someone override better judgement, then you're letting your bias against them ... their clothing, their skin color, their appearance and their praying ... get in the way. And that, my friend, is exactly what racism is.

Care to respond intelligently to that, because I'm doubting your or Hondo have any real argument against it.

8. Point of Order

When have I not responded intelligently? And yes, I did say you had your head up your ass because think my comments were being misread, but there was a point I was trying to make there. No offense. And please don't lump me in with hondo.

9. Point of Order

Sure. The people that freak out will probably be racist. Racist people don't fly? I'm not saying it's right to freak - just that it's bound to happen. Hence my advice. Racism is reality, unfortunately.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And so is a person's right to pray.

11. Point of Order

Did I ever question anyone's right to pray?

12. Point of Order

Umm... they were "quarantined" to use your term. That's the reality. Hopefully not without repercussions, but they were.

Draft saved Draft deleted