1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging Frank Ridgeway: Shirt and tie without a jacket?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Your thoughts for semi-formal/business casual occasions? (Or anyone's?)

I can't decide if it looks like one should be waiting tables at Applebee's or whether it can actually look dressy. No tie feels so casual. Tie feels like a waiter. I'm intimidated by blazers and sport coats, that I'll look like I'm wearing a mismatched suit.

Some seem to say you can pull it off with a very slim-fitting dress shirt and a slim tie, tie bar, or both. Others say don't even try. I always think that it's OK as long as you don't have a blue shirt and khakis, because you'll look like you're getting your award for Most Improved Player at the middle school winter sports banquet.

Frank?

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Personally I think wearing a sport coat without a tie looks really "middle-aged man." I'd much rather wear a tie without a sport coat.

Maybe that's just me.

3. Dick Whitman

I also think that a dress shirt with a pattern to it, like plaid or stripes or checks, can go with a tie and no jacket and not like you're heading to the middle school formal dance.

4. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I honestly think it depends on the build.
    A paunchy man can't really pull this look off.
    Also depends on the shoes.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm a middle-aged man and I do a coat with a shirt and jeans a lot. So maybe there is something to that.

But when I see a tie without a coat, I think mail room kid.

6. Dick Whitman

Do you think some can pull it off - under some of the guidelines I mentioned? Or is it not even worth trying.

I can do the jacket and jeans thing. Love it actually. It's when you toss dress pants into the equation that I seem to have difficulty mixing and matching.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Don't need Frank Ridgeway for that one. The answer, for adults, is no.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Some people can pull anything off. If you're "fawkin' hawt" go for it.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I do three things. Suit and tie when necessary. Suit without a tie if suit isn't necessary but I still want to look decent. Sport coat and jeans for a regular look. I never try to mix and match coats and dress pants. I'd rather just wear a suit without a tie. I have a couple of gray and black suits that work just fine for that.

I am not sure how you pull off a shirt and tie without a jacket. I mentioned the mail room guy. It sort of works for Jehovah's Witnesses, too, I guess.

10. Dick Whitman

I read a column in Esquire or GQ or somewhere like that one time where a person wrote in and asked, "How can I look like Daniel Craig in a suit?"

The answer: "Step 1: You have to look like Daniel Craig."

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Do not wear a tie without a jacket. Ick. Get a decent navy blazer. Just about anything will go with it.

12. Dick Whitman

I think a lot of people probably go blue blazer and khakis. But I hate light-colored pants. Again, junior high dress-up day. Or polo day at the Kennedy compound.

Draft saved Draft deleted