1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Page Designers The Morning News of NW Arkansas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by redsox99, Jul 18, 2008.

1. redsox99

redsox99 Member

The Morning News of Northwest Arkansas (42K) has a couple of page design openings on the universal desk, including one that will primarily be for sports. The Morning News is an APSE award-winning sports section and offers a great opportunity for designers to make their mark. Tons of space (average 12 pages per day in sports), tons of color available every day and the freedom to think outside the box. If you are a page designer looking to build great clips and want to opportunity to use your creativity, then this is a great opportunity for you. In addition to the daily newspaper, there is also an Arkansas fan magazine Hawgs Illustrated that offers more design opportunity. Contact John Nebling (jnebling@nwaonline.net) or Fran Johnson (fjohnson@nwaonline.net). You can also contact the sports editor (email csouza@nwaonline.net or call 479-872-5131) for more information on the sports designer position. They are looking to move quickly on the sports job with a huge football section and the start of the season just around the corner.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

12 pages a day at a 42k! That deserves a big, hearty, genuine WOW.

Might be the only 42k with a sports news hole that generous.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Twelve pages a day this time of year means two things:

1. Great big art.

2. Full-page house ads.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was impressed with their section for their size.

edit for clarity.

5. Not exactly. One would at the section will totally change your mind.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Some good people in the trenches doing the heavy lifting there. And Northwest Arkansas is a nice place to live, whether you're a single guy looking for a good time or you're married with kids and looking to settle down.

7. Luke_Knox

Luke_Knox New Member

Is Kai Caddy leaving the Morning News? He was doing some nice stuff for them.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Had heard (secondhand) he was sticking around for a while. Hopefully they're just adding depth.

9. Kai is still there. It was one of the other sports designers that left.

10. Slash

Slash Member

Did Blake Drehle leave?

I can vouch for the paper (good quality), staff (good, hard-working people) and area (one of the prettier and more progressive places in the US).

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I met ASE Paul Boyd recently, who I believe would be in charge of the new page designers. He was a heck of a nice guy. Seemed like he'd be great to work with.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I met Chip Souza a few years ago before he took the SE job at NWA. He seemed to know what he was getting into. His money quote: "It's a different world over the mountain."

Draft saved Draft deleted