1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Page Designer - San Luis Obispo Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jun 20, 2007.

1. From APSE: http://apse.dallasnews.com/job_board/2007/2089.html

Date posted: 6/19/2007
    Newspaper: The Tribune, San Luis Obispo, Calif.
    Job listing: Sports Page Designer
    Contact
    (e-mail): Devon P. Goetz, Human Resources Director
    dgoetz@thetribunenews.com
    Phone number: —
    Information: The Tribune, an award-winning 40,000-circulation McClatchy newspaper in San Luis Obispo, Calif., is accepting applications for a sports page designer.

We're looking for someone who:

? Understands content, both visual and words, and is not afraid to take informed risks in pursuit of excellent design.

? Has a thorough grounding in the basics of contemporary newspaper page design.

? Respects type and understands how to use it well.

? Can select, crop, manipulate and stylize photos to create dynamic open-page layouts.

? Has a solid understanding of color.

? Can write headlines and cutlines and edit stories according to Tribune and Associated Press style.

? Aspires to be at the forefront of visual journalism.

? Has an enthusiastic attitude and strong interpersonal skills.

? Has a knowledge of and interest in sports (football, baseball, basketball, etc.)

We offer that person:

? A chance to gain broad experience in the company of an excellent staff.

? This is a place to grow, to further hone your skills and jump into the big leagues of visual journalism. We're dedicated to doing things the right way, and you'll benefit as a result.

? The opportunity to work with an elegant, sophisticated design. We were voted "One of the World's Best Designed Newspapers" in 2000 by the Society of News Design and have collected more than 25 SND awards since then.

? A chance to live and work in McClatchy's nicest destination. We're minutes from the Pacific Ocean, halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles. San Luis Obispo is known for its vibrant downtown, friendly people, and sunny, warm weather. If you like to spend time outdoors, this is the place to be.

The successful candidate will have at least two years of daily newspaper design experience, although college graduates with top-notch internship or college newspaper experience are encouraged to apply.

The Tribune paginates using QuarkXPress; candidates should be fluent in its use. Adobe Photoshop and Freehand/Illustrator experience is also desired.

Any experience in multimedia storytelling using Flash is a plus.

Please send resume, references and non-returnable samples immediately. EOE

Human Resources
    The Tribune
    P.O. Box 112
    San Luis Obispo, CA 93406

You may also apply via e-mail to:
    dgoetz@thetribunenews.com.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

SLO is a FANTASTIC town.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

California's central coast is awesome. The beach without the crowds and traffic. Very mild climate (Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Cambria), but just a few miles east, it gets a lot hotter, great for growing grapes (Paso Robles, Arroyo Grande, Templeton). It's just south of Big Sur and the drive on Hwy 1 from Santa Maria, through the SLO area, up into Big Sur and onward to the Monterey Peninsula is spectacular.
    Can't say I've ever seen the paper. Cal Poly SLO is D-IAA in football and D-I in the rest. It should have made the NCAA baseball tournament this season instead of (or in addition to) Fullerton (beat 'em on the field, beat 'em in the standings, lost to 'em in the RPI). A couple of big JCs -- Hancock and Cuesta. Some potent high school football in Arroyo Grande. Sandy Koufax used to live in Templeton during his hermit era.
    Part of our history is there: San Simeon and the Hearst Castle is about 20 minutes north of SLO. The tours of the castle are unbelieveable.
    Early in our marriage, my wife and I vacationed up there and took two of the tours. I knew more about "the man" than the tour guide. From the questions and comments I made, it became obvious I was a newspaper person. Then, at the end, I told my wife in a loud enough voice for the others to hear: "That's why I got into newspapers, so we could have a place like this some day." That even cracked up the tour guide.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

There are college towns, and then there is SLO. Midway between the Bay Area and Los Angeles -- and not close to either -- SLO has places to eat, drink, recreate and hang out, 10 miles from the coast. Paper is just so-so, but there's a lot to like about the area, expensive as its housing is.

5. Songbird

Tri-tip BBQ!

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

If they fly you out for an interview, be sure to ask for the Caveman room at the Madonna Inn.

7. Songbird

And go to the butterfly farm near Pismo Beach.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

McLintock's is a great steak house in Shell Beach ... as is AJ Spurs in Templeton.

9. Songbird

Jack's Restaurant in Orcutt.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Good Mexican place in Guadalupe as well.

11. Songbird

I've long wondered what became of S.E. (doesn't stand for sports editor). If I had a chance to rewrite history, I would go back and take a chance ...

12. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

And if Melissa Geisler is still SE, you'll work for a rock star.

I propose you build her a cake or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted