1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

page designer/paginator, Lorain, OH

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Journalismjobs.com

Seeking a sports section page designer/paginator with graphic skill, imagination and talent. We've got great writers, need someone to give the section a more dynamic look. Send your resume and work samples to Tom Skoch, Editor, The Morning Journal, at tskoch@morningjournal.com.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Might be a decent gig for the right person. They have a guy who covers the Cavaliers, and probably do some Browns/Indians stuff as well.

The usual amount of prep stuff. Apparently, their state basketball tournament is still going, much later than in other places where I've worked.

Looking at their website, didn't see a lot of hockey coverage, which sort of mitigates my interest. Although I understand a website doesn't always tell the entire story.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This is a pretty good paper, and it's the right spot for the right person. Good luck to whoever gets this.

4. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Once you get past Rocky River, there's not much hockey on that side of Cleveland at all. And the hockey that is there is pretty watered down talent-wise.

5. PM me with questions.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I know places like OSU, Bowling Green, Miami and others have NCAA teams. Do they have high school teams?

7. There's about five high school teams in their coverage area, but rarely do they make the paper because of a deadline that's around 11 p.m.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

UGH!! 11 p.m. in the eastern time zone is a killer for almost anything.

9. Fortunately it's about to be spring sports season, and the only consistent state title winners are in softball and track. Softball will be excellent again, but yes, high school football is a nightmare. And trying to get a game story in by 10:30-10:45 AND capture video can be challenging.

10. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I'm pretty sure they cover more than five teams. Can't say the exact number, but I'm guessing it's more like 20, although they probably really only concentrate on a handful.
    None of the schools in this area have hockey. There aren't many Ohio high schools with hockey, and they all are around the big city areas. Not too far to the west are some schools with hockey in the Cleveland area. The other schools with hockey are mostly around Toledo and Columbus.

11. No, it's only a handful: Avon Lake, Elyria Catholic, Midview, Amherst, and North Olmsted (which technically isn't part of the Journal's coverage area anymore). But like I said, hockey doesn't get too much game coverage because many games barely make deadline. There's about 30 schools in the coverage area total.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Good people here and at its sister paper. Only drawback -- it's a JRC paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted