1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Page designer/copy editor, The TimesDaily, Florence, Ala.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Jan 5, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The TimesDaily, a 29,000-circulation daily New York Times Company Newspaper in Florence, Ala., is seeking a lead page designer/copy desk editor in sports. We cover university sports at three schools and 35 high school programs. Excellent copyediting and creative page design skills needed.

Experience required: College degree, passion for journalism and a reputation for quality and integrity. InDesign pagination experience helpful. Send cover letter, resume, and design/editing clips to T. Wayne Mitchell, Executive Editor, TimesDaily, Box 797, Florence, AL. 35631 or e-mail wayne.mitchell@timesdaily.com

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I believe this is to replace Ryan Sonner. Yes, THE Ryan Sonner.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you cheat at golf and cards, you'd be working for the right SE...

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Where is the great Ryan Sonner going to?

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If by great you mean mediocre, I'm the guy.

Yup. This is my job. In two weeks, I'll be moving back to Virginia as a tech writer.

Anyone interested in my soon-to-be old job, PM me for details.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ryan replaced me. I can tell you straight up that it's a fine opportunity for a young desk guy (which, let's admit, I was not) or gal (ditto) who wants to work with some good people on the sports desk and wrestle with the alligators that all desk people have to wrestle with every day.

The sports editor and his assistant are great guys. Good people have worked in that setting and gone on to some very impressive opportunities.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

SONNER!?!?!?!?

RB

8. JackReacher

You rang?

9. JackReacher

Seems to be a good amount of interest in this job. Keep the questions coming, folks.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Sonner will leave some big shoes to fill, as HH did before him.

There are good folks working at the TimesDaily and the sports section churns out a ton of local copy.

Plus, you'd get the chance to work for Julio, as cool a boss as there is anywhere.

11. JackReacher

You're too kind, John. But you're also correct. There are far, far worse places to work than the TimesDaily. Some of the nicest folks I've ever met, and the new guy will get the freedom every designer needs.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What universities do they cover?

Draft saved Draft deleted