1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Padres nix Dusty Baker, will hire Bud Black as manager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Nov 8, 2006.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Don't know Black but have heard great things about his knowledge of pitching. Interesting choice. I thought they were going to pick Dusty but apparently Black's interview blew them away.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good for Black. Another tough loss for the Angels after Maddon left last year for Tampa.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think Dusty might have been a better choice because he is more experienced and this seems like a club he could do well with. But Black might be good for a pitcher like Peavy.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Recycling Dusty for the purpose of giving him another stage upon which to stumble about seems unnecessarily cruel

5. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

With this move and trading Barfield, it shapes up to be an interesting offseason for Padres fans.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

[​IMG]

85 royals represent

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Bud Black lives in San Diego already so it was a great fit for him. Should be interesting to see what the Padres can do in 2007.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

My guess is this talk about Dusty being a great candidate for the Padres and losing at the wire to Black is just a bunch of bullshit by Dusty's people. The Padres let Bruce Bochy go because Moneyball Sandy Alderson doesn't like to pay for managers and because the Moneyball philosophy is to bully the manager. So Dusty, with his overblown ego and decade-plus of inexperience, is going to end up managing the Padres? I don't see it.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

What about Baker with the Nationals?

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Firing Frank Robinson to hire Dusty Baker?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Padres pitching staff rejoices...

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is that Brook Jacoby?

Draft saved Draft deleted