1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Packers writer, Journal Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, May 8, 2007.

1. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Is the only reason to turn down a job after interviewing because your current paper bumped your salary? Cuz really, why interview just to say no?

2. What if the interview reveals how poorly a department is run? Certainly not pointing out the Journal-Sentinel in particular, but the best place to pick up a bad vibe is in person.

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Interviews work both ways. They're checking you out, you're checking them out. It's perfectly OK to say no to an offer if you don't feel it's right for you.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the Pipeline:

The latest guy in the crosshairs appears to be Greg Bedard of the Palm Beach Post. Not sure how sold they are on the guy, but obviously there's interest.

5. There are often family considerations, too. Maybe when a candidate and his wife or husband sit down to talk about the move, now that it's reality, it just isn't right for them. Life is about more than chasing $5,000 raises around the country. And you seldom know what kind of offer you'll get going in - maybe you'll get one you can't refuse. Maybe you'll get the aforementioned $5K that's hardly worth the trouble.

6. WestCoastBias

WestCoastBias New Member

I'm not sure how sold Bedard should be on the Journal Sentinel. He's got a pretty good gig where he is.

7. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

I'm not Greg, but I've dealt with him on several stories and he has a serious eye for news. I'm a big fan. He's not above, say, camping out in an airport for three straight days waiting for a certain coach to fly to Alabama. Tremendous stuff.

8. bump

Any word?

9. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

Grease is the word

(sorry, couldn't resist)

10. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

I heard (but haven't confirmed) that another candidate might be flying in this week from the left coast.

11. caesarsghost

caesarsghost Member

He interviewed for a lot of little reasons that add up to an appealing opportunity.

He's been at the Post a long time and is looking out of boredom more than anything else. He just wants a change. Plus, this beat is front and center in Milwaukee. He likes that aspect of it. In South Florida, there's so much other stuff to compete with, and being in Palm Beach and not Miami, he knows he doesn't write for the "paper of record" for Dolphins fans.

12. I'll take that bet . . . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted