1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Packers to Rodgers: Well, not so fast...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by armageddon, Aug 3, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So NBC flashes to an airplane landing with a guy named Favre on it.

They show the locals there to welcome him home, but I noticed something very strange.

There is a kid there wearing a Chad Johnson game jersey. In Green Bay, there is a Bengals fan?

How do you choose the Bengals over the Packers?
    What makes you think this place and moment are good opportunities to show your allegiance to another team?
    Are you trying to establish NFL fan cred by wearing this jersey?
    Do you think Ocho Cinco is on the plane?
    Were you born in Ohio, but it was just not cold enough for your family?

This kid is far more interesting than the Favre story. Shit, at this point the thickness of the asphalt on the runway holds my attention more.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Clearly.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Was Elway forced to give it up? Thought that was about the happiest ending I have ever seen in a professional football career. He could've come back...

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Yes...after he was told not to report to camp and that he wasn't going to be released.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Maybe my memory is failing but I thought at his retirement presser, tearfully, he talked about being unable to go on because of his knee(s)?

Too busy to Google it but perhaps someone who knows the Broncos can correct me if I erred.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The kid in the Chad Johnson jersey must not have finished all four years of college.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

So what? Do they want the best possible QB for their team? If so, let the two of them battle it out and the situation will resolve itself.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'd assume so since he looked like he was about 14.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Elway wasn't "forced to retire". He went out on his own terms after winning the Super Bowl. I never heard anything about any ugliness between Elway and the Broncos.

10. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Batman:

Please see my last post, the fourth before yours.

I recall his knees forcing him to give up the game.

Edit: I just googled Elway and retirement. His quote from his retirement speech:

"It's time for me to move on. I can't do it physically anymore. And that's really hard for me to say."

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My mistake, and my apologies. I misread your post. With your lament on the business of the game forcing players to move on, I thought you were saying he was forced to hang it up by the Broncos.
    A thousand apologies, my good sir.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, if that's your standard, then EVERYONE is forced to hang it up and it's not really worth getting sad about.

Draft saved Draft deleted