1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Packers to Favre: You can be Rodgers' backup......take that!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riddick, Jul 12, 2008.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Perfect response from the Packers. Be a backup or shut up and go away.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Until he sues them and the NFL gets really weak-stomached over the prospect of losing even more power over players despite contracts and they work out a deal that allows him to play somewhere else.

3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Can somebody explain this to me: I was watching ESPN's coverage and reading their stuff online. Chris Mortenson was in Hattiesburg, where Favre lives, according to the dateline of his story and as per Mort saying he watched Favre practicing with the high school kids. If that's the case, then why no quotes from Favre? Why no attribution to Favre? Did Mort talk to him at all? Why are there no cameras all over this high school practice field. Does anyone else find this odd?

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Um, yeah ... this'll work.

It'll take about an hour and a half for the team to turn on Rodgers, if it hasn't already. The first shitty pass he throws during the first practice that Favre is there for will be the end of him as "leader" of the team.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good for the Packers. If Favre comes back as the starter, it does two things:
    1) Ensures Aaron Rodgers gets pissed off and leaves the second he becomes a free agent (and rightfully so)
    2) Ensures this same song and dance happens again next year
    If Favre comes back, maybe the Packers have a better shot at the Super Bowl than they would with an unproven Rodgers. But they also risk setting the franchise back five years at the QB position for one year of Favre and waiting to see if this is the year he hits the wall. Not to mention having to dump one of the two draft picks they spent on quarterbacks this year.
    Word of advice, Brett. Next time you want to unretire, do it BEFORE your team goes through an entire cycle of the draft and free agency.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

He can't possibly be the backup. The point made above about the pressure on Rodgers is a great one. He has to be traded, possibly to Baltimore or Kansas City.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I watched Joe Montana lead KC to its last playoff victory. (Christ, how pathetic is that sentence?) First of all, KC isn't going to win this year, much less make the playoffs. Six would be a nice total. And while they drafted well, I don't think any of their top four picks have signed yet (way to go, Carl).

Even if Favre wanted to go there (which I'll be he doesn't) it's time to Brodie Croyle (or anyone without an AARP card) sink or swim.

How much would you love to be Rodgers right now? Nothing short of a perfect season or two was going to gain that guy acceptance, and now this.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I can't wait for someone to start yammering how great it would be to have Favre "mentor the young quarterbacks."

:D :D :D

For the Packers, or somebody else. Already here in Detroit the sports-radio hyenas are carrying on about how they could bring in Favre to "mentor" Stanton and Orlovsky, and yes, even the savvy veteran Jon Kitna. ;) ;)

Of course, nobody brings up the fact that Favre probably equates the idea of going to Detroit with signing up for a raging case of genital crabs. ::)

9. JackS

JackS Member

I think this is the smartest move the Packers can make, for multiple reasons.

1. Shows exactly how committed Favre is. If he's willing to come into camp as the backup, that impresses me as an executive of the Packers or any other team. If he's not willing to do it, then Favre looks more like the creep.

2. As stated, it gives the Packers a good option if Rodgers goes down early in the preseason. Imagine if this were to happen and Favre was already elsewhere? Packerdom would be in chaos.

3. Allows the Packers to dictate where Favre will end up if Rodgers does stay healthy, and could potentially increase Favre's trade value. Right now, no teams are desperate enough to give the Packers much in return for Favre, but that could change if some contender loses a good QB late in the preseason or early in the regular season.

The only real drawback is the crazy hype that is going to surround Favre being back in Packers camp. But I think that's better than any of the alternatives.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

It can't work. Favre's never been willing to mentor a kid ... you think he's going to idly sit there behind one? It's a disaster waiting to happen.

And it will NEVER be any other QB's team as long as Favre is there.

11. JackS

JackS Member

As long as he doesn't undermine Rodgers, who cares if he mentors him? And if the former happens, trade him immediately. My points are generally tilted towards trading him anyway. Just keep him long enough to assure Rodgers health and possibly build some trade value.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He's gonna sue on the basis that he has a right to start? Or on the basis that basic contracts are illegal?

If I'm the NFL I don't think I'm going to sweat that much.

Draft saved Draft deleted