1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Packers Release Injured Nick Collins...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BadgerBeer, Apr 25, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He is coming off a major injury. What kind of player he was 18-24 months ago doesn't mean a thing. Otherwise who knows who would be drafting Andrew Luck tonight because Manning and the Colts would have won a lot more games and it would have been the Rams choosing between choosing Luck or trading the pick.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Second Packers player who was a second-round pick to be cut this way. There was a receiver from A&M who was released under similar circumstances several years back.

Collins was a hell of a player who the Packers would have killed to have back if he was healthy.

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I guess they did fail him on his physical. But the reason for doing so seems to be fear for his future. This from Tom Silverstein, certainly not a voice for the Packers.

The Packers were never satisfied that it was right for Collins to return to football and were not convinced by the assessment of five neurosurgeons who viewed his latest test results. They simply didn't want to be the ones who put Collins at risk for further injury, and thus failed him on his physical.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-release-collins-bc55nbv-148986925.html

4. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Try 6-7 months ago. You're making this out to be something it isn't. This isn't a guy who missed two years. It's a guy who was in his prime in the middle of September.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So he had the same surgery as Peyton Manning, was cleared by five different doctors, but the Packers cut him loose and this isn't about the money.

Interesting.

6. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I don't think he was really cleared. It was more of a, "Well, he could be OK, but if something does happen, he could be totally fucked up."

Not to mention, it's a bit different than Manning, in that he plays a position where the injured part of his body is basically used as a battering ram.

I think he's nuts if he tries to play again.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Packers were never satisfied that it was right for Collins to return to football and were not convinced by the assessment of five neurosurgeons who viewed his latest test results.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-release-collins-bc55nbv-148986925.html

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

That doesn't say they cleared him to play. It says five surgeons assessed him. I doubt all five of them said "this guy's as good as new, hitting shit with his neck and shoulders is exactly what he needs."

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Az, the Green Bay Packers are a family. They even said it in the release, Nick Collins is a "member of our family." They would never be so crass as to make a football decision. Family comes first.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No doctor would have said that when he entered the league, either.

He was assessed by half a dozen doctors, including the one who performed the surgery, and was told he could play. The Packers have chosen to cut him, which might have been a decision with a moral component or without one.

Apparently, though, judging by the response to the Collins cervical fusion surgery, Peyton Manning is in much more dire shape, and at much greater risk, than anyone ever thought.

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I think it was a football decision made easier because of the moral component. Ted Thompson doesn't get emotionally tied to his players. He pays for the future and not what you've done.

Mike McCarthy is very much a family-type coach and I actually do believe that he wants Collins to retire and is worried about him as a person. Remember, this is the same coach who sat Aaron Rodgers in what was a pretty damn close to a must-win game at New England in 2010, despite Rodgers' pleas to play and his anger when he didn't.

For Thompson, every player in the league is replaceable. He probably figures a guy entering his 8th season would be replaced soon anyway, and doesn't want this on his conscience if something goes wrong.

But if they didn't care at all about Nick Collins they would have let him play. He's insanely better than any safety they have.

12. There is no way a legit Super Bowl contending team like the Packers would cut a guy a like Collins just to save a few bucks. Concern for his health was the one and only reason he got cut. Did you watch Charlie Fucking Peprah run around and try to fill in for Collins last season? He set the position of safety back about 35 years.

To be clear, I'm not saying the Packers concern for Collins' health has anything to do with the Packers being a "family." My guess is Ted Thompson went over the medical info with his team of minions, wasn't convinced that Collins could stay healthy, and decided to try and replace Collins now instead of being forced to do it in mid-October.

Draft saved Draft deleted