1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Packer fan car salesman at Chicago dealer won't remove Packer tie; gets fired.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by IllMil, Jan 25, 2011.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

eight-hunnnnndred-five-eight-eeeeeeight, two-three-hundred.....

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What's 'wow' about it?

Can we all agree that employers have some interest in how employees appear to the public on behalf of their companies? Okay, so then is it that hard to imagine situations where hair part matters?

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No. But it's hard to imagine situations where, if a company was so inclined to regulate this, that it would not be spelled out in an employee handbook (which is cross-checked by attorneys), with step-by-step instructions on what punishment would be meted out if it were not followed. Not, the manager decided that Saturday was OK to wear the tie, but wearing it on Monday meant your ass was out the door.

A good manager would have pulled the employee aside, CALMLY explained the reasons for the tie, given the employee a chance to respond, and THEN made any decision. And, really, is this person is one of your better salespeople, you would be a fool to treat him this way, because now your other best salespeople get an up-close look at what an asshole they're working for, and start making tracks to head out the door. I bet some of this salesman's buddies are asking him whether there are any openings at his new Chevy dealership.

4. RickStain

I'm not denying that it takes two assholes for a situation like this to escalate into a firing.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So then you would agree that a company could fire a person for being overweight, even if it has nothing to do with safety regulations or anything like that?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What if the car salesman wore Green Bay Packers-themed eye glasses? I've haven't seen eyeglass frames covered in any company dress code.

I don't know if NFL eyeglasses exist. I know there are sunglasses and safety glasses with logos on the lens.

My advice means little since I usually wore jeans to work if I had to cover a game. I'm not going to ruin slacks climbing up on a stage or kneeling on the floor.

7. RickStain

Is there a specific law against it? Otherwise, I'm going with yes. There are certain jobs that will always go to pretty people, and if a pretty person in that job got fat, they'd be gone.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

TV is one of those jobs.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The manager isn't paid to be an asshole. The manager is paid to have a clear enough head to know how to react when confronted with a situation. Really, Rick, if this is how you think management should be, I don't know what to say. Other than I feel for anyone who ever has to work for you.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Have you ever heard of of equal-employment laws? Or anti-discrimination laws?

11. RickStain

Yes. And I'm not positive, but I'm about 80% certain neither of those cover obesity.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You should be working for the NFL. Could definitely see NFL logo sunglasses selling.

Draft saved Draft deleted