1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ozzie Guillen to Florida, managing last game with White Sox tonight.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 26, 2011.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

You know, if you have the phone in your hand you could at least call .... Very crappy.

Looks like the Sox will be getting Florida's No. 4 and No. 5 prospects. Not bad.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-will-reportedly-receive-two-players-for-guillen-20110927,0,1662373.story

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That is insanity on Florida's part. Absolute insanity. There are very few managers in the history of the game that are worth that. And certainly not this guy.

And whoever said that fans are going to show up in Florida to watch Ozzie manage are going to be proven wrong.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's not like the White Sox sold out every game. It will drum up more interest in the team, but I would think it'll have a negligble effect on actual butts in the seats.

4. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

The new stadium, in a better location, combined with Ozzie and Pujols will have a humongous effect on the attendance dude.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, they'll go from drawing 5,000 a game to at least twice that. :D

I think Guillen will be a draw, but I don't think it will be anything extreme.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pujols is a Marlin? Missed that. Did realize "Doc" Gooden was the ultimate authority.
    I'll bet my left nut he doesn't become a Marlin.

7. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

Why would Gooden just make it up

8. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

Of course it won't. People don't come to the park to see the manager. But they will come to see ALBERT FREAKING PUJOLS. So I think they'll probably end up selling out a majority of their games next season

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Take it to the Doc Gooden thread.

Oh, wait.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Three words that will preserve Moddy's manhood: Owner Jeffrey Loria. And if the noob doesn't get it, may I advise a quick study of the Montreal Expos?

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Fans don't come to see managers. But a manager who fans like is of value to a team in desperate need of anything to convince people they're trying to win. It's not enough, but it's something. And it's sure cheaper than Pujols.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The Marlins didn't sell out the majority of their games during either of their World Series-winning seasons (they averaged 29,000 per game in 1997 and a whopping 16,000 per game in 2003). It sure as shit isn't going to happen just because they hire Ozzie.

Draft saved Draft deleted