1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oxford American Sports Issue

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by azzurri, Jan 4, 2008.

1. azzurri

azzurri New Member

I didn't see a post on this. But I received a copy of the new Oxford American sports issue the other day. It's kind of eclectic.

It had some interesting stuff, including a long feature on the death of Red Sox prospect Dernell Stenson, a piece by Wright Thompson on barbeque nachos at Ole Miss games and a story on Frank Broyles.

I don't recall the OA having ever done an issue devoted to sports. I know its music issue gets a lot of pub. Any thoughts?

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I got it yesterday, too. I think it is their first sports issue. They've mostly been doing "theme" issues in their latest re-incarnation (art, movies, etc., plus the annual music issue) Haven't had time to read much yet, but if it's anything like the OA usually is, it'll be worth reading.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The OA has been inconsistent in the last couple of years. Some essays in its 2006 music issue were really bad, and the CD was pretty weak, too. This year's music issue was better, though not as good as some of the ones from the past, where the articles and, especially, the CD were all top-notch selections.

I haven't gotten the sports issue in the mail yet. Hopefully today.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

When you get it, let us know how the CD is.

Draft saved Draft deleted