1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Owning an (old, old, old) house

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jul 22, 2008.

1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

It might be a beautiful home with some childhood memories attached to it, but just signing your life over for the first time to get a mortgage comes with a steep 90-degree anxiety-inducing learning curve in and of itself.

And no matter how many episodes you might've seen of "This Old House" or any of its offspring have inspired that romanticize the restoration business, even the most experienced homeowner can never, ever be prepared for the craziness that might, I mean, will ensue.

A house that old is bound to have a myriad of issues that need addressing, and I'd guess many of them aren't visible to the naked eye. That is, foundation issues, electrical, plumbing. Those can be incredibly costly repairs, ones that you can't see as readily as new windows, a new front door, landscaping, paint, et cetera. Ones that, while necessary, don't have instant curb appeal.

The adage that remodeling/restoration takes twice the time and twice the money is absolutely true. And if it winds up being a project that takes an extended amount of time, please, consider the toll it might take on you and your family. It's a financial burden, an emotional burden, a convenience burden...I swear, you have no idea.

With all that said, I just finished remodeling my second house-I'm about to put it on the market. I personally love the results and can't wait to buy another house to remodel, but I also lost a long-term girlfriend in the process.

In the end, us breaking up was way, way, way for the best, though.

If you really want to buy something, buy a place that needs some TLC, but doesn't have "select-all, delete, reboot" written all over it. That'll get you in the zone to see how you like doing it with having so many emotional and financial variables at stake.

2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

First, thanks for all your responses. It's a great start for me to look into.

(I say this now), but I do enjoy being the handyman here. I take pride in starting a project and seeing it from start to finish and knowing that you were the reason for the way it looks. I restored a '67 Land Rover a couple of years ago and that was a labor of love, let me tell you.

I'm hoping to take a walk through the house in the next week or so. I haven't been inside since I was 5 or 6 - I'm 32 now - and I remember it being very old-looking inside back then.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There's a lesson here: Romantic entanglements are costly, difficult and usually not worth the trouble.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Make sure when you take a walk-through to look for any loose planks on the floor, odd-shaped doors in the closet, etc. You might find a body or two.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

See if there's a little door, a portal, like in 'Being John Malkovich.'

6. Sheri

Sheri Member

I'd sure love to see some pictures, if you wouldn't mind posting them after your walk-through.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ask spnited. He had it custom built.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, get a home inspector. Obviously, a 300+ year old house will have its problems, but an inspector will be able to point out some flaws that may not be apparent at first.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Like whether or not the termites have eaten away at the wood plugs that took the place of nails.

Draft saved Draft deleted