1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overtime in a football box score

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by apeman33, Sep 29, 2008.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I've never had a multiple-overtime game before, but since there's been about two or three OT games in the area already this season, I thought I ought to seek a clarification. Ya know, just in case.

How is a multiple-overtime game indicated in a box score? Let's say there's three overtimes, should I write it like this....

Podunk...... 0 0 0 0 6 0 8 — 14
    Bigcity....... 0 0 0 0 6 0 6 — 12

Scoring
    First overtime
    P — Smith 1 run (kick failed)
    B — Johnson 2 run (kick failed)
    Third overtime
    P — Smith 5 run (Smith run)
    B — Johnson 12 run (run failed)

Or like this?

Podunk...... 0 0 0 0 14 — 14
    Bigcity....... 0 0 0 0 12 — 12

Overtime
    P — Smith 1 run (kick failed)
    B — Johnson 2 run (kick failed)
    P — Smith 5 run (Smith run)
    B — Johnson 12 run (run failed)

I haven't seen any examples before, either. So I thought I'd come here for a consensus.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

The latter.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

It depends.

If you list the score as Podunk 14, Bigcity 12, OT, then the latter. If you say Podunk 14, Bigcity 12, 3OT, then the former.

Seems kind of obvious to me.

4. jps

jps Active Member

go with the first

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Shouldn't this depend on your paper's style (or should I not assume that papers actually have style guides for this sort of thing)?

Our style is each possession is an OT "period." Thus, the former, 3 OTs.

6. apeman33

Since there is only me in my sports department, I guess the "style" would depend on what I think. The main high school in my area hasn't had an OT game in the time I've covered them and the junior college and the other high schools have never played more than one OT from what I can recall. And your answer seems the most logical, so I'm going to go with it.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If the second overtime period doesn't happen without the first overtime period ending tied, then they're separate periods. You would no sooner combine the first and second overtimes than you would combine the fourth quarter and overtime.

In your example, there's no way to know how many overtime periods there were. There could have been as few as 2, or there could have been 11.

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

For anyone saying the former, good luck getting that to fit in agate and look presentable. K.I.S.S.

9. You have to go with the former because each one is a separate period.
    If it was a linescore in baseball, you would have to do each and every inning played and not combine them.

10. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

We do a combination of those styles for high schools.

In the score-by-quarters, we would do each overtime as a separate period.

However, we don't break the scoring plays down by quarter, they're presented in the order they occurred whether they happen in the first quarter of fourth overtime.

11. apeman33

Some school names barely fit even in regulation.

Southern Coffey County ends up being So. Coffey Co. and even that's a stretch.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That is correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted