1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overrated Movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beaker, Mar 11, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Shatner's acting is so bad it was a joke on Mystery Science Theater 3000. "He can't even out act himself."

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Million Dollar Baby -- complete horseshit to spend the first hour or so establishing Hillary Swank as a never say die quitter then, after her injury, the first thing she does is quit on life and check out.

The Bourne movies. They were decent and the car chases were excellent. I wouldn't go any further than that.

Agree on Hoosiers. I didn't see it until probably the late '90s, but it didn't hold up well at all. The basketball scenes were awful.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Citizen Kane was the first movie that popped into my head when I read the thread title.

4. statrat

statrat Member

I'm calling on Homeland Security on all the people who mentioned Hoosiers as overrated because that is just un-American.

5. Bru

Bru Member

Atonement. Yeah, the book was better, but the book usually is (and in this case the book is exceptional). This film was in love with itself.

A Beautiful Mind. Got way too much love.

Agree with those who list Borat. The laughs are justifiably praised, but the mean-spiritedness is too often overlooked.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sixteen Candles and Some Kind of Wonderful. Signs that the Hughes Chicago suburban teen angst empire was crumbling. Paved the way for the suckitude of Fresh Horses. St. Elmo's Fire, on the other hand, was a bit underrated.

7. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I watched Sixteen Candles a few nights ago and man, I forgot how racist the Long Duk Dong stuff was.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

gene hackman is the most appropraitely named man on the face of the earth.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

st. elmo's fire was underrated? dude, what year did you stop doing crack?

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Boondock Saints

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/reviews.cfm/id/368/page/boondock_saints__the.html

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Running the gauntlet here:

A Few Good Men. Overacting, implausible climax, and they managed to make Demi Moore look very unattractive.

Saving Private Ryan (after the first 30 minutes, a slog).

The Deer Hunter. Well-acted, well-done overall . . .but it hinges on a plot device that is jolting and unrealistic.

The Breakfast Club. I enjoy it now for humor and nostalgia . . but if a movie like that came out when I was older than 12, I would have thought it was a cliched POS.

The Empire Strikes Back. If you're under 15, the whole middle section is boring stuff with a puppet and fixing a ship in a cave. If you're between 15-20, you think the Yoda stuff is good philosophy. Over 20, and you appreciate the technological mastery that went into Yoda, and love it for nostalgia. Hell, I love it and think it's the best of the series. I just don't think it transcended as much as its reputation says.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I watch it whenever it's on, but . . see The Breakfast Club, above. And when you really loook at it . . .Ferris is a dick. he deliberately got his best friend in big trouble with the whole foolishness with taking the car. Then at the end, they don;t just dent the car, they ruin it. And Cameron stands there and says "I'm gonna confront my daddy, because he loves the car more than he loves me!" And daddy will sit down and listen, RIGHT? No, he's gonna beat your dumbass to within an inch of your life because you and your buddy ruined not only his prized possession, but something that few people have in the first place. I love that closeup, with the smile and the music . . .John Hughes, stop teaching 80s youngsters that they should do stupid things.

Can Shawshank be anything but a bit overrated at this point, with everyone and their mother gushing about it? Only a bit, I said. That is a great movie . . . but almost cliche now, it's been referenced and spoofed so many times.

Fargo. Not funny, not interesting, critics like Ebert adored the whole thing with "Dude from the old days wants to hook up with Frances McDormand" . . .I thought it was a pair of brothers who had success both before and after, trying too hard this time to be funny. Though I did like the scenes with the two kidnappers. I guess I was supposed to find the accents funny for two and a half hours.

Hoop Dreams. Just kidding . . finally bought it and watched it again last week for the first time since it first came out. Damn, what a wonderful film.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Agree with this one. I'm always shocked by how many of my friends love this flick. Troy Duffy, the director, is a Grade A douche (as seen in Overnight).

Draft saved Draft deleted