1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overheard in the press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 8, 2010.

1. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

High School FB game, several years ago.

It was homecoming. When the queen is announced, the following exchange took place.

AD: "I don't think I know who that girl is. Does she go to school here?"
    Assistant FB coach, on his way back up to roof of press box: "Yeah, everyone knows her. She's the one that had that baby last year."

2. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

Giants Stadium press box, years ago, Giants-Lions game. Mike Lupica and Mitch Albom are spotted chatting across the way.

One press box wag: "What do you suppose they're talking about?"

Second press box wag: "Probably who the third-best sportswriter in America is."

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Years ago, was at a junior college football game, which are often shoestring operations.

Local radio personality is doing the PA.

Baseball coach and basketball coach are running the scoreboard and clock.

Everyone, including me, is helping spot for the PA guy.

Home team throws a long pass just off the fingertips of the receiver. Baseball coach groans and exclaims, "oh, that was just a tad long."

PA guy: "Pass intended for Tad Long."

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Lupica couldn't carry Vaccaro's jock.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Liberals complaining about a free-spending government? That is funny.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Only on SportsJournalists.com could "Overheard in the press box" spur a political argument, both the beauty and curse of this place.

I wish I could think of specifics, but I'm currently drawing a blank except for things that require way too much explanation.

One thing I do remember vividly is the visiting Bucs writers in the press box at a Vikings game having so much fun throughout that Sid Hartman was absolutely furious by the second half. Like we were desecrating a church or something.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What do you mean, "nice try." I only told the story. It was funny at the time. One guy was bitching about the use of the military for a ceremonial occasion, the other one reminded him that the military was handy to have around to keep people from, you know, invading your shores.

Lighten up.

Plus, I didn't post this to start a political argument. Thought people would find it funny regardless of their beliefs.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

One caustic visiting scribe, loudly, to the local team's multimillionaire owner, a guy who loved to frequent the box and trade barbs with the local and out-of-town writers. Up to this point, anyway:

"Hey [Blank], I heard your wife divorced you because you're a lousy lay!"

9. hardin moose

hardin moose Member

Does second hand count?

This goes back 50 years. Ed Bouchee, runner-up for NL Rookie of the Year in '57, gets arrested in the off-season for exposing himself to young girls. Sports editor of his hometown paper: "There it is again -- the sophomore jinx."

10. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

Years ago in a Hs press box ...

Podunk West team is notorious for having an incomplete or inaccurate roster. Podunk East team's radio announcer spends the night saying "... No. 35 for Podunk West carries the ball. Sorry folks, there is no No. 35 on Podunk West's roster. We'll see if we can't find out who No. 35 is."

About halfway through the second half, veteran sportswriter rips off a small piece of paper, scribbles something on it, and slides it down to radio guy ...

"OK, folks, we finally have a name for our mystery player. No. 35 for Podunk West is Claude Raines ..."

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You think there were two people at Podunk West who knew who the hell Claude Raines was?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

It wasn't funny. Flyovers are not the sound of freedom, just jingoism.

Please try again. Or better yet, don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted