1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Over-used "Cool" Words

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Nov 1, 2007.

1. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

In general, editors should let writers decide what goes inside the quotes because the editor wasn't there. Edit unnecessary words from the writer's copy, by all means, but don't fuck with the quotes.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You don't automatically edit it out. You edit it out when it is unnecessary. And much of the time "I think" is exactly that. We aren't supposed to be court stenographers here. Part of our job is to pare quotes down to the essentials for the reader.

Now, I'm not advocating doing anything that changes a quote's meaning, or even it's accuracy. But I do think you can pare: "I think our offensive line came up huge today" to "our offensive line came up huge today" without losing anything.

EDIT: I'm speaking here, as a writer, self-editing as you're writing. I don't think a copy editor should screw with anything inside quote marks, at least not without running it by the writer first.

Draft saved Draft deleted