1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outstanding story on Bruce Jenner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clintrichardson, May 22, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He does - Moonrise Kindom on May 25th.

The timing of these pieces always interest me.
    I always wonder how these stories come about from a timing standpoint. Did Esquire approach Jenner / Murray or did Jenner/ Murray approach Esquire about doing an article since the new season / new movie was starting up and it would be good publicity.

When the timing is such that subject has new project release that is imminent, I feel a bit manipulated.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No . . .

I just think it's rather arrogant to act like you get to tell someone else what their responsibilities are.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't wait to read Charles McGrath's version of the story.

I wonder if he'll describe the Jenner/Kardashian home differently than Jones.

4. Piotr Rasputin

I think the Earth was salted before McGrath got there.

5. YankeeFan

Jones probably asked Jenner not to talk to McGrath or Chris Heath.

Bastard.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I mean....isn't this how it's always been? Celebrities do interviews (print, radio, TV) when they have something to promote. That's how it is like 90 percent of the time.

You think these people WANT to sit down for interviews willy nilly? If so, you haven't been paying attention the last, oh, 50 years. The Bruce Willis "interview" in Esquire is one of a million pieces that prove the point.

7. YankeeFan

I remember when, as a kid, I realized celebrities only came on the Tonight Show when they had something to promote. It did make me feel used.

The best guests were the few who would come on just for fun -- guys like Bob Newhart and Don Rickles.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This piece just made me so sad. I remember when this was the hottest man on earth. Now he plays with helicopters and gets his eyebrows waxed, badly.

I would love to know the rest of the Jenner story, those dark post-Olympic days when he was a lousy husband and father. Was he just meant to do that one thing, be the best of the best for a brief time, and then....what?

And if the Kardashians hadn't become whatever they have become, would we know anything about him other than he's a victim of a psychotic plastic surgery??

9. YankeeFan

And has big, silly studs in both ears.

And, while I really hate to speculate, I've got to think the guy drinks. Sometimes he just seems way out of it. Other times, he can appear very bright, and attentive.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

OK, it's arrogant to want others to better the world.

Of course, you're the one who said they had an obligation to each other. I'm not sure where you get off suggesting that.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Family tends to stick together.

I'm not interested in demanding that others subscribe to my particular world view. Your mileage obviously varies.

But there's no need to let Arrogant Ass Alma come out. Leave him on the Grantland threads.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like Alma's arrogance. Give's this place some much-needed class and upbraiding.

Draft saved Draft deleted