1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outside: 'How Our Totally Average Runner Broke the Sub-Five Minute Mile'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 7, 2017.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

After reading this thread, I was curious to see what my mile time would be. Did 5:53 at the track this morning. Not sure how much better I could have done, but was pleasantly surprised with it. Full disclosure is that I have been doing 400 yard sprints once a week for about the past month so it is not like I woke up and just pulled this out of nowhere. My aggregate mile from my last 4x400 was 5:03 so I think my time for a full mile should get better quickly once I work on the pacing a little more.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Run 85s quarters. You're in shape to run 5:40 right now. (1:25, 2:50, 4:15, 5:40)

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Curious - how old are you?

4. cyclingwriter2

Just hit 40...part of the reason I started running seriously again.

5. Dick Whitman

We're the same age. Same motivation, too. (I started upping the effort last summer in anticipation of 40.)

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Kids these days.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

Our 5k time is in pace of each other as well. I did 19:21 in May.

8. Dick Whitman

No more treadmill!

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Something happened to the belt on my treadmill and it's literally too loud to use unless I'm the only one in the house. Which rarely happens. Where are you running? Local track? Gym with track?

10. Dick Whitman

I can step out my door and be on the town's bike/running trail through the main town park in less than a half-mile. It's a six-mile loop, the way I run it, out and back.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Liked reading everyone's war stories. Ran 5:40 as a freshman in high school, and 11:48 for the two mile. Got down to sub-8s last summer, but I refuse to run in the winter, so I'm just picking it back up again. Really haven't timed myself, but I'm guessing I'm still sub-9s right now. Always had Achilles issues, so that means much more stretching than ever before.

I'm turning 40 in a few months, and this story is pretty motivational. I've never really been all too concerned about my age, but the idea of 40 has been hitting me lately. I really want to do something like this, setting a realistic goal, working toward it and achieving it.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Ran the 1/2-mile in 2:44 this morning, or a 5:27 mile pace, according to my app. Inching my way there one workout at a time.

Draft saved Draft deleted