1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outside: 'How Our Totally Average Runner Broke the Sub-Five Minute Mile'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Speaking of weather, I went and bought a Garmin watch yesterday because my iPhone GPS flipped out in the cold weather - it was 21 degrees Fahrenheit at the outset of my run. The headphones crapped out, too. Today, the GPS worked, but the headphones crapped out again. (Apple earbuds.)

I'm going to have to get this figured out, or else I'm going to be running a lot of dark, cold, lonely miles all winter long. I guess there's something to be said for that, from a toughness standpoint. But I'd like to have my podcasts and/or music.

It was 16 outside when I started today.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I don't think Bill Rodgers wore headphones. Or had GPS.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

At your funeral I will make sure to let everyone know you died listening to a podcast you loved :)

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Started seriously running again on January 1 after spending the final few months of 2018 in an eating frenzy and not doing anything longer than 12 miles and averaging about 35 miles a week.

Making some interesting gains in the first few weeks as I have found speed I haven’t had in about 15 years. Got my mile down to 5:44; two miles down to 12:59 and my three miles down to 18:30. Up to 18 miles for my long run with a goal of adding a mile a week until I can’t add no more.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm training too, with the expectation of getting my 5K down to...March.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted