1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outing: Are you nervous people know who you are?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Apr 22, 2007.

?

Do you feel like you may have accidentally outed yourself on sj.com?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Maybe

13 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. Hell yes!

8 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Hell no!

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. I'm a minor cog in the journalism machine. No one cares about me (crying)

33 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Anybody that knows much about me could figure out who I am pretty easily, just am fairly sure a few of the posters here are people I know. A lot of the people I've worked with know exactly what my screen name is and we talk about posting here.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

It wouldn't. Because then we would have a caste system, where all of the industry big names are given more credence because of name recognition. We see this in a smaller scale with Whitlock. If Whitlock posted under a "fake" name and did the stuff that he does, he would be seen as a common troll. But because he is Whitlock and is very well-known in the industry, he is given much more credence. I like the fact that when we debate industry matters, credibility comes from quality, well-thought out arguments rather than a dick-measuring contest of how many APSE's you have won or how many times you have appeared on ESPN.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Buckweaver's correct (as is PDB) about the anonymity here being a good thing. Enjoying the honest thoughts of some talented folks is a small price to pay for the occasional comestain tard-poster.

As my standing in the world of journalists is akin to Oddibe McDowell's rank among all-time home run hitters, I'm not too worried about outing, though I try to avoid needless revelatory info.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea who Central Illinois is, though I hear he has a baby and a dog that are way up high on the cuteness scale.

I know who some people here are, and I know who some are that don't know me from Johnny Dicksmack in the grand scheme of things. I know lots of silliness goes on here. Some people should go in the box and feel shame.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't worry too much. I've put enough clues out there that anyone who works with me ought to solve that one.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

Well, my standing is akin to Chuck Carr's rank among all-time home run hitters, so you got me beat irish.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Chuck Carr? Oh come now. You must mean Ralph Garr.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

How many people try to figure out who a poster is? If I see something that catches my eye, I might PM them and say, 'Hey, are you so-and-so." But that's mostly within my state. I don't really read people close enough to follow what they've said a lot of times. A perfect example on another thread -- I can't remember which one -- somebody said something about UTshooter or to UTshooter and somebody referenced UTshooter being a woman and how they should have known that by now. Me? I had no clue. Unless it's something related to South Carolina, I typically don't pay much attention. Am I the only crazy person who does that?

9. PopeDirkBenedict

If I am Ralph Garr, that means I have you beat by a single home run. ;)

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Absolutely the only reason I wouldn't care for outing. But a valid, good one.

Really, I've never much cared whether people knew who I am. I yam who I yam.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, a good-for-nothing infopimp. ;)

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, but a grade-A photo scrounger too!

Draft saved Draft deleted