1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OUTING 2011 -- UPDATED WITH A WINNER

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 3, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: OUTING 2011

Hells yeah. I love meeting the Missus (and Misters!) of SportsJournalists.com posters. It's awesome to see that side of people. :)

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Denver and Minny would also fit that bill; if you can't enjoy a vacation in either place, you aren't trying...

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just a thing Junkie - we've built them around baseball. People certainly can - and certainly have - get together for any reason they choose. I encourage it. I know there was a DC hockey visit a few years back, some NYC get togethers and, I believe, some hanging out in Vegas (if only it had been Tahoe, we all would have been so close).

For all the headaches it can sometimes cause, SJ has actually expanded my personal and professional network more than I would have guessed possible. The outings are a big part of that and I've only been to half of them.

4. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

No dog in the fight here, as I'm committed to other events on the weekends mentioned here.

But Chicago (and other U.S. cities) have many attractions other than baseball. I'm sure if you PMed someone here, that person could give you a big list. I haven't been to Chicago in a while, or I'd offer to send you a list myself.

Will there be traffic? Yes. Will there be construction? Yes. Will you get lost at some point? Probably. Will you get cornered and killed? No. That only happens in Florida.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

So where are we going this year -- can we get a decision?! :)

As one of three (wicked+IJAG) who have been to all of the official outings, I'd like to say these group shindigs are worth the time spent on SportsJournalists.com. As Moddy said, they have not only expanded my professional network but I've gained lifelong friends from the outings alone. RIP spnited. ... I treasure these corny outings, almost as much as the Secret Santa every Christmas.

Junkie -- I know what you mean about the baseball aspect as I'm not the biggest fan of that sport, however, the outings are meant to be a bonding time and that's just that - bottom line. Plus, we have a good time at the games as a group, even if we're not all into the sport ... and the time spent together is the whole point, not the fact that you're suffering through miserable Indians baseball.

Look forward to this year's get-together. So, where are we going? ;)

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

tahoe.

7. imjustagirl

To clarify, I have not been to every official outing. I did not make Baltimore a couple years back. :(

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Wanting to see the Cubs and White Sox on back-to-back days?
    Wimps.
    Only way to do it is to see both in the same day.
    1990. Final season of the old Comiskey Park, my friend and I went to Chicago and this was our intenrary.
    Arrive Sunday night.
    Monday - Sightsee around Chicago, White Sox game that night.
    Tuesday - Cubs game in the afternoon, White Sox game at night.
    Wednesday - Cubs game in the afternoon and drive straight to the airport (Midway) after the game. Made our flight with 15 minutes to spare only because the flight was delayed.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I should have something on hotel rates by the end of the day or tomorrow at the latest.

10. imjustagirl

Wait, ESJ...a flight was delayed at Midway? PSHAW.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Delays at MDW are much less frequent than ORD.

On most lousy weather days, the news will be reporting widespread delays at ORD with only scattered delays at MDW.

12. imjustagirl

I've only flown into/out of O'Hare once or twice. Never had a problem.

Spent SEVERAL multiple-hour delays at Midway. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted