1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outing 2009 - now taking applications

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I agree with Buck. There ain't much to do in Atlanta, at least downtown. CNN Center didn't impress me and the Olympic Park was good for about five minutes. The Omni is a damn nice hotel, though.

You can never go wrong with Baltimore. I've never had a bad time there. Ever.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you can't sight-see in Atlanta, then you have no pulse...

On a related note, Buckhead for drinking

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I didn't have a great time in Atlanta when I was there a few weeks ago, but I think that's because i spent all my time downtown. Like Slappy said, I've heard other areas are fantastic. I'll definitely go back to see what I missed.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We'd stay in Midtown or Buckhead, I hope, if we go to Atlanta.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think Boston & NYC were eliminated by Moddy because of the unavailability of tix.

My first choice would be Pittsburgh because it's only a five hour drive from TO, Baltimore's nine.

Please not Atlanta or Miami.

Too bad there isn't a major league team in Bar Harbor, Maine. :

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll say this (channeling one of my favorite coaches): Baltimore, Philly, Pittsburgh are the front-runners if a host emerges. Atlanta and the Florida cities longshots. Somebody is going to have to show some tickets to get Boston into the mix.

My thinking for future planners, all VERY tentative: Kansas City, Denver, San Diego for the next three.

Then we're back east and I'm probably dead!

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

right over the man's head....

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I missed it on strike one as well. Caught it on strike two.

There are things you can find to do in Atlanta (Stone Mountain, for ex), but you've pretty much got to have car transportation to get from point A to point B.

And, by the way, the Buckhead bars have been levelled to make way for progress condominiums, so if you're thinking of that area that had like 8 or 10 bars, it is no more. Maybe the Vinings area is the pseudo-replacement, I'm not that sure.

I would be glad to help out if ATL is the choice, mods, but I'm probably not the best person to run point, and as others have said, I think there are probably better spots up north. And that's from an Atlantan.

Buck would just as well have everyone go to Athens anyway.....

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You just want Atlanta so you can go to Friedman's Shoes, right?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

In my opinion, one of the prerequisites for a city selected for an outing should be this: if you're driving, you should be able to park your car for the weekend and walk or take public transit pretty much everywhere. Or at least an affordable cab.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd be up for Baltimore. Would love to get back there.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't think voting on the cities matters if no one volunteers to host. Likewise, if we only get one host volunteer and that person lives in Miami...guess where we're going regardless of votes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.