1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

outdoors/sports reporter, Dickinson, North Dakota

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by johann, Jun 20, 2011.

1. johann

johann Guest

Company: The Dickinson Press
    Position: Reporter needed to share outdoors/sports
    stories
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: July 25, 2011
    Job ID: 1228325

The Dickinson Press has an opening for a sports/outdoors reporter to complete a two-person sports department complimented by part-timers. The Press is a six-day AM (no Monday newspaper) with a 7,200 print circulation and a growing web base.

The person who fills the position will report on an abundance of area outdoor topics and design a two-page outdoors section once a week.

The focus of sports coverage is preps and Dickinson State University, a highly regarded NAIA program.

The position focuses on the prep beat (two high schools in town and about a dozen in the surrounding area) during the fall, winter and spring and splits coverage of three beats during the summer: a competitive American Legion baseball club, professional and amateur rodeo, and the local dirt-track auto racing scene. The summer also brings opportunities to cover golf tournaments, recreational sports, and an annual high school football all-star game between North Dakota and Montana.

We are looking for someone with two years of journalism experience, but strong recent graduates will be considered.

Send your cover letter, resume and writing and/or design samples to Managing Editor Jennifer McBride. Email information to jmcbride@thedickinsonpress.com; drop it off at The Press office or mail to The Dickinson Press, Attn. Editor P.O. Box 1367 Dickinson, ND 58601

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1228325

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

So this went unfilled after the last posting?

3. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

I applied for this position earlier today. On another SJ thread, there was a frustration expressed about employers not responding to inquiries - not even acknowledging receipt of applications.

The Dickinson Press did acknowledge receipt. At least I know my e-mail isn't floating in cyberspace or stuck in someone's spam folder.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Don't get scared off by the two years' experience thing. If you put in actual work at a student paper or did more than take calls for an internship, you'll have a good shot. A couple of former sportswriters who've had this job didn't have two years' experience going in.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Honestly, everything mentioned in the ad strikes me as an entry-level type job.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

There are only a handful of people in that newsroom. It is a very small shop. There is no real entry-level stuff because the shop isn't big enough. You'll be the new person but the role you fill is pretty well defined (what beats you get ... etc.).

7. jhoeck

jhoeck New Member

Heard last night that Dickinson might have its man. It's another young guy from the Dakotas, he'll do good work with Dustin Monke.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, it might be an entry-level job, but at least the part-timers will say nice things about you.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

On a mostly unrelated note, the nearby Minot paper is doing a great job on flood coverage. Noticed the sports editor chipping in as they're pulling together to keep people informed in a tough situation.

Check out the web site: http://www.minotdailynews.com/

Kudos to all at the Minot Daily News, and hope everyone will be able to return to their homes as soon as possible.

10. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 Member

Prolly a good thing you didn't get the job...and now everyone can see why you didn't get the job. I am sure you were the "only" qualified applicant. Come on me, it's called humility.

11. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I have a violin I never use anymore. Do you want it?

12. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

The intensity and effort of their coverage has been fantastic. They could probably tone down the writing a bit in a few spots.

Draft saved Draft deleted