1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outdoor writers .. Anyone like 'em?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 23, 2007.

1. T&C

T&C Member

Track down Randy Wayne White's collections.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

When I first got out of college (which wasn't that long ago), I got offered a job as an outdoors writer. I didn't want to do it, but then I looked at the paper's circulation size, and the circulation sizes where most of my buddies started, and I said, 'Where do I sign?'

Did it for a year, wrote some fun features, talked to a lot of people with two first names, saw a lot of pretty places ... and then marched my happy ass into a college beat.

But, yes, there are some damn fine outdoors writers out there, and some of these subjects (people, trends and events) are really fascinating to write about.

3. Zak Brown

Zak Brown New Member

My situation is different because I work in Boulder, but I'm a full-time outdoors writer/editor. And our section is focused on "outdoor rec," like hiking, climbing, cycling, mountain biking, skiing, etc. We also do hunting and fishing, but I'd say it's only about 20 percent of what we do. We have one page a day and a weekly section, so we have found a way to make a fairly large outdoor section profitable. But, again, it's a different situation. Boulder is a hub for a lot of those activities. Backpacker, which I agree is very good, just moved here because of it. To me, Outside is a must-read each month.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

To Frank Ridgeway, please send your above observations to the editor of my paper. He's the one who flushed a full-color back page ad five days a week for a high school-ish beach report, an extreme sports writer (mountain climbing, hiking, triathlons) who writes about his friends every week, and a column on butterfliles and tide pool dwellers, among other things.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Son of the South heading that way again as Field & Stream Editor Sid Evans, originally of Memphis, departs for another mag:

Pity Field & Stream. Its editor, Sid Evans, is one of the best magazine journalists around -- and he's leaving town.

Evans gave notice on Wednesday. He's moving to Charleston, S.C., to become editor in chief of Garden & Gun, a fledgling high-end lifestyle magazine he describes as "Vanity Fair of the South." Well, an aspiring "Vanity Fair of the South" -- launched in April, it has a circulation of only 150,000, compared to 1.5 million for Field & Stream.

"People were definitely surprised," Evans says. "I'm a little surprised."

Full story:

www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/mixed-media/2007/10/26/gifted-editor-decamps-for-points-south

6. We had one at my old paper whose famous tagline was:
    "Well, that's another one ready for the freezer,"
    Cracked me up.

7. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

The first paper I worked at, in the 1970s, had a veteran outdoors writer -- I think he was about 110 years old -- who always ended his columns with a tip.

His best one: Hunt during the day rather than at night because it's easier to see the animals.

True story

:eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted