1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out2 Media (STAY AWAY!!!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jaxson5, Jun 13, 2006.

1. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

The following job is a position I just left.  NOTE:  THIS IS NOT A JOURNALISM POSITION!!!

They have asked me to do unethical things, from cut and pasting stories not from the wire service.  They use Clairinet, which does have some AP stories, but a very slow service.  They asked me to cut and paste from yahoo and put the Clairinet Credit at the end of the story.

No credentials whatsoever will be issued to nearly any events, unless you like Single A Minor League ball. Every other sport will reject you so there is hardly any opportunity to do your own work. 

THIS IS STRICTLY A CUT-AND-PASTE JOB!!!!

If you have any experience past the college newspaper level, YOU WILL BE BORED OUT OF YOUR MIND HERE!!  Sections you are expected to fill:  wrestling, table tennis, martial arts, equestrian...to name a few.

You'll thank me later.

Description:
    Out2Media Group, Inc., an internet based media company is looking for passionate individuals to join our team. Out2 News is a network of 13,300+ online newspapers, which we like to say, the future of Newspapers as we know it. Out2.com is news with talkback capability, creating conversation within local areas, which is local journalism at its best!
    Our West Palm Beach based corporate office is looking for an ambitious Editor, sports related topics. This is a great opportunity for individuals who want to take their writing and publishing opportunities to the next level and become known within the local area. Must have knowledge and interest in all areas of sports, both at a local and national level. This is a salary position with opportunity to prove oneself in the market.

Must have some idea about our product and site. www.out2.com

LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY PLEASE

If interested contact: Alicia Allen aallen@out2.com or 1-800-358-0187

2. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

One more thing...

This is a "pyramid" company, not a newspaper. They thrive off of trying to sell franchises and make their money through that rather than actually producing new. As of now, they are currently making no money and giving away their franchises.

Again, you'll thank me

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I hear this job is close to Tahoe.

4. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

No, West Palm Beach

5. spud

spud Member

Even if it wasn't a pyramid scam, advertising like that just kind of sells itself up the river.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

Jeez, I might be newbie, but not that newbie

7. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

They only have a few ads on their site right now. Way too much white space.

8. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

Maybe I didn't get the Tahoe thing?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Spaceman -- You're Hired!!!

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

jax, it's a long-running SportsJournalists.com joke. a long time ago someone was talking about a job opening in fresno and a couple of people were arguing about how far it is from fresno to tahoe. so now anytime talk about a location, someone pipes up the 'close to tahoe' reference.

i just checked out that site and it's funny. i entered my zipcode and the page that popped up had about 10 national stories -- possibly cribbed from google news and one from my state, but nowhere near my zip code.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Might the Plain Dealer be an option?

12. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

They cut and paste everything. That news could be found anywhere, really. Lemme guess, 15 minutes from Tahoe?

Draft saved Draft deleted