1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out the door she goes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 11, 2008.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I've learned my lesson, as a boss, that when somebody gives two weeks' notice, if you can get the approval from the higher-ups, go ahead and cut the departing staff member a check and send them on their way ASAP.

I got burned once, and that's enough.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Very true - at least through the first week.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

*** Time card pulled so they could give you your money immediately ...

As for what the reporter did, depending on the size of the shop, I'm not sure it's a big deal. It's not like the 1A page designer quitting at 9 p.m. on a Saturday or the prep writer quitting at halftime of the state finals.

This type of quitting technique is pretty common in other fields. It's known as the "two-day" notice ... as in, "I quit to-day."

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

I was working the desk one night many years ago when one of the older copy editors went out for a smoke and never came back.
    None of us noticed for a while because he was prone to long smoke breaks and was known to even sneak across the street to the local and have a pint.
    His desk looked as if he were coming back - line gauge, wheel (it was back in prehistoric days).
    Over the years the retelling of the tale worked into a pretty good comedy routine

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Was he canned. or did he leave on his own?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Left the copy desk in Baltimore, Jack
    I went out for a smoke, and I never went back...

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Awesome.

8. TopNotch1127

TopNotch1127 New Member

I can see where you're coming from PHINJ, but in my personal experience through Week 1 of my Two Weeks, it can be pretty tough as well. My sports editor has been treating me like crap and has given me extra workload (I have to write a wrestling gamer and write a feature about the pre-match ceremony for the coach who's retiring, all in a two-hour span).

But hey, I guess that's all right ... I'll be gone in 7 days, so who cares.

Yet to echo the other posters, even though this job has not turned out to be such a great experience, I don't have a vendetta against everyone in the office that I would just quit like that. As tempting as it was to say, "I'm done," and walk out, I have too much of a conscience to screw over my fellow writers, many of whom have treated me with respect and kindness during my stay.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've had the opposite thing happen. Then again, guys who willingly take over your responsibilities for you when you're having surgery even though it's their last week only come around like once a century.

10. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

When leaving for a competitor, it's not unusual for people to be paid to not show up after submitting their two weeks notice, just so they don't steal any info.

11. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

I'm betting this was sarcasm.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't think so. I'm seven days into my 10 after notice and it has been grand.

Draft saved Draft deleted