1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out of control NFL draft coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Apr 26, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It was the guy who ran the draft for the Colts from 1994-1996. For some reason Tobin/Polian are just etched into my brain in the same spot and I cannot seperate them.

It was the Trev Alberts pick that got Mel going.

Mel pointed out that some organizations will not pick small college players, and this costs them some very good picks.

Funny, but both Alberts (injury-prone) and Dilfer (won a SB for a different team, but was not the franchise QB everyone wanted) both turned into semi-busts.

OK, TIVO has been burning for a few hours now, I think I can go to the draft. Maybe they have gotten to the Steelers?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Then SI is wrong. Bill Tobin was the Colts GM. Vince, his brother, was defensive coordinator.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Around these parts, the suspense comes after the draft, when we find out exactly how clueless the Lions were this year. Fortunately, we have four months to wait and see. And slash our wrists.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The video of Drew S.'s workout should scare you to death then.

5. ogre

ogre Member

I agree that the draft is best experienced online, or on mute. I enjoyed Mosley's blog on espn.com for the most part, and si.com did a good job getting their analysis up in a timely fashion.

If you've ever spent an afternoon covering the draft party of a kid who slides way past expected, that is some of the longest hours available. After the first three or four hours, the fam isnt so pleased to have you there. Until dude gets drafted. Then it's all champagne in plastic cups.

6. Lord knows this site is full of people who believe that if you can't post something nice don't post it at all ...

hell, I'm a journalist, it's in my DNA to complain ..

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if someone assigned you to go to a kid's draft party, get a new job now, dude. really, run, don't walk.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm a little disappointed in pallister with that one, too.

9. ogre

ogre Member

already gone my man.

10. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I was telling someone this weekend, how, when I used to cover the NFL, the draft was the absolute most boring two days of my existence. The team I covered had traded away their first pick prior to, and had no picks until several hours into the draft. All us regular beat writers stayed in the team's headquarters sprawled on couches watching two Stanley Cup playoff games back to back, hanging out on the small chance something might happen. I took a stack of novels and read them all as well before the team made its first pick around 8 p.m. that night.

And no, I didn't follow a second of the draft this weekend. National holiday? To whom? The weather was gorgeous where I'm at and everyone was outside.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

we love smart ogres.

happy ogregiving day.

Draft saved Draft deleted