1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out of control NFL draft coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Apr 26, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Unless they enjoy human misery, there's no reason to ESPN to show shots of Jets fans at the draft. A bigger group of self-loathing miscreants you've never seen.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The NFL draft is the perfect event to follow on the Internet. No sound is necessary, just lists.

3. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

I've never sat down and actually watched the draft, but to those who have what do these ESPN commentators actually talk about while they're waiting for the next pick, anything interesting?

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Wow, that's some hyperbole by Mike Freeman.

So a team allegedly spied on JaMarcus Russell. No, that's not right. But is it surprising? No.

And can I really blame whatever team that is for feeling like it doesn't know enough about the guy, and wanting to thus check on him? Maybe. I understand what they were thinking, and the fact is, they are about to make one hell of an investment in Mr. Russell, and they wished to ensure it was the right move.

Of course, the sourcing on this is questionable enough so Freeman's screaming from on high is pretty comical.

And as for the Jets, this never gets old:

5. Call me heartless. I really didn't care that a team "spied" on him.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A tad harsh Spnited but funny and true.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

A million writers and broadcasters claim to be experts on Draft Day, when in actuality there are 0, Mel Kiper included. The fact is, there are top-10 picks who are complete and utter failures (but they're "studs" and "brilliant picks" on Draft Day), and then there are players who aren't drafted at all who turn out to be All-Pro. It's largely a guessing game and nothing more.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The thing is, most of your team comes from rounds 2-thru-6. But, most fanboyloosers care about the superstars picked in round one. You can probably getting away with making a lousy first round pick if the rest of your draft is solid. But being wrong on a QB can set your franchise back 5 years. (See Leif, Ryan)

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The NFL Draft is one of the reasons I own a Tivo.

I will record the entire thing and fast forward to the minute before and the minute after the picks. That is when the real interesting stuff is said. The player interviews are worthless. The highlights are nice, but any bum who plays in 11 or 12 college games is going to have 6-7 decent plays. I do love Mel though. The way he can just talk about some random kid from Colorado State in the fourth round in three seconds to me is amazing. He is great at doing what he does on TV. Sure, he will be wrong with some of the ratings, but who isn't? The fact that he can tell me about the kid in a few seconds astounds me.

The coverage for it has gone over the top. I treat it like Super Bowl coverage. I will purposely turn it off when it comes on because I know it is like eating peanut M&Ms: I just cannot stop once I start, and I know I will be sick after a while because I have eaten too many.

I do think it is the most important off season day in all of sports, though. Your team is made or broken on this day. If you have an empty draft, your team will suffer 2-3 years down the road.

And I love the Jets fans.
    And with the thirteenth selection, the New York Jets select Jeff Lageman, linebacker, Virginia.
    Who? What? Who? What? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bill Polian's mailman?

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I can't believe ESPN is having Kornheiser cover this. He is going to add nada.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

And he agrees with you.

Draft saved Draft deleted