1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our latest idiot athlete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hope this isn't a d_b. Didn't see it posted anywhere and it made me laugh.
    Tried to find a link and couldn't so I hope the powers that be won't mind the cut and past job.

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) — A mixed martial arts fighter and avowed anarchist has been charged with malicious mischief, accused of spraying graffiti on the state Capitol.
    Jeff "The Snowman" Monson, 37, of Olympia, was charged because of photos published in the Dec. 29 edition of ESPN The Magazine that show him spray-painting an anarchist symbol on the Capitol.
    Police had sought the person responsible for spray-painting columns on the north side of the Capitol on Nov. 26, The Olympian reported. The vandalism included an anarchy symbol, a peace symbol and the words "no poverty" and "no war."
    Police recognized Monson in footage captured by a surveillance camera, but the break didn't come until ESPN ran its article on the fighter, court papers show.
    Monson told The Olympian in a telephone interview that he took responsibility for the graffiti, which he said was a protest against the Iraq war and economic inequality.
    Every great movement in the U.S., Monson said, "has been the result of people standing up and breaking the law, refusing to stand at the back of the bus, refusing to stand aside when the government asks you to get off their property.
    "At some point you have to stand up," he said.
    The graffiti in November cost $19,000 to clean up. An article on ESPN.com said Monson did not give the photographer advance warning before pulling out the spray can.
    A warrant was issued Wednesday in Thurston County Superior Court. If convicted, Monson could face a maximum 10 years in prison.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

As idiotic as his action was at least he was supposedly acting on some ideals. I don't condone it but better this than shooting someone or yourself in a club.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There are dozens of athletes who do things much more ignorant than what Jeff Monson did. And, as already noted, at least Monson showed some principle.

Many other athletes possess little to none, afraid they'll hurt their marketability. "Republicans buy sneakers, too," anyone?

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Disagree. Because you have ideals it's ok to do this shit? The terrorists on 9/11 were acting on their ideals. At least stupid people have an excuse.

5. Sam Mills 51

Fine to disagree. Not fine to compare this to 9/11. That's idiotic.

Monson did not harm a living thing. Big, big difference.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's a big, big reach.

7. Holy hell.
    Spray-painting?
    Ben Roethlisberger is being more of a moron by playing football this weekend after another serious concussion.

8. Sam Mills 51

Then a comparison to 9/11. Only Georgia Tech's basketball team is blowing more mental fuses right now.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Someone pulling the "Ideals" argument and making it seem as if it's somehow less of a douche action was a stretch. I can apologize for the hyperbole.

10. It actually does make it less of a douche action.
    Marginally, but measurably.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I read that this guy also doesn't pay taxes as a protest.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. Drawing 9/11 into this was beyond ridiculous.

Roethlisberger doing something stupid isn't exactly news, though techinically the injury was a spinal contusion. It is not the same type of head injury he sustained twice in '06.

My issue is with callling Monson an idiot. His actions are not justified, but it was a political protest by somebody who knows enough to be well aware of the possible consequences, not a thoughtless act like what Plaxico Burress pulled. Monson has a master's degree in psychology. I would say it is more accurate to call him an ass than an idiot.

Draft saved Draft deleted